Wishes as a user coming from revit/archicad.

scheven_architect

Question

3 reasons for me to change from these programs:

1/ The office I'm working in uses this software.

2/ I really like the interface, intuitive handling,...

3/ I'm most used to revit, because of school, but I realize except for some great features it's not improving anymore.

Still I miss some tools I personally find obvious that would make life much easier.

- Reshape handles on objects like doors, windows,... / being able to reshape them actively in model like you can do like in settings.

- Being able to set fixed point when resizing windows, doors,... like you can do with lines and polygons (right, left, middle).

- Slanted/tilted wall (see archicad).

- Walls by path (not just circle).

- Selecting connected/looped walls (see tab selection revit).

- Align tool. (see revit)

- Temporary dimensions between the most important elements in a drawing that show up when dragging an object (see revit).

- Advanced spreadsheets.

- Ability to create a wall that isn't just all the same height.

- Wall by face.

- 'slice of pizza' section: section in multiple direction taking a piece out of the design.

- Create similar.

Edited by scheven_architect

5 answers to this question

Check out Needle and Mortar - many of us have been asking for key improvements to Vectorworks (to bring features to VW that Revit/Archicad already possess) for years now.

If anyone asks me about VW, I advise them to reconsider VW when the "out of memory" error has been fixed.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I will need more clarification in order to submit these features than "See revit", sorry. Specifically what do those commands do that you would like to see added?

Also clarification on some specific items:

- Selecting connected/looped walls (see tab selection revit).

This should be doable with "Select Connected Objects"

- Ability to create a wall that isn't just all the same height.

This is possible now:

- Create similar.

This is done by right-clicking on an object and choosing "Create Similar"

- Align tool: You click a line you want to align to, then click the a line of the wall/object/window/... you want to align with the first line. Extra option is to lock the lines to each other so that they move together when one of them is moved.

- Reshape handles: Windows, walls,... have more reshape handles that allow to easily change dimensions in 2d, 3d,...

- Walls by path: use polygon to make a wall.

- Slanted/tilted walls

- Drag corner of connected walls without breaking the connection between them.

- Temporary dimensions: When you move an object, some temporary dimensions pop up. For example I move a window in a wall, I now see the distance to the corner/other window.

- Resize left, middle or right of windows, doors,... like you can do with polygons. Now it resizes from the middle outwards so a lot of times you have to reposition.

Don't understand me wrong, I really like VWX but these things just make life that much easier :).

Align tool: You click a line you want to align to, then click the a line of the wall/object/window/... you want to align with the first line. Extra option is to lock the lines to each other so that they move together when one of them is moved.

for this type of function you'll need to check out and practice with the smart snaps

Constraints in the constraints palette can help locking objects together

- Reshape handles: Windows, walls,... have more reshape handles that allow to easily change dimensions in 2d, 3d,...

Have been wished for and something along these lines is actually in the pipeline.....

- Walls by path: use polygon to make a wall.

there is a command for this already

- Slanted/tilted walls

i wished for that about 5 years ago....patience is a virtue

- Drag corner of connected walls without breaking the connection between them.

yeah wished for that a month ago

- Temporary dimensions: When you move an object, some temporary dimensions pop up. For example I move a window in a wall, I now see the distance to the corner/other window.

wished for too, however smart snaps and user origin + databar input can actually get you there too

- Resize left, middle or right of windows, doors,... like you can do with polygons. Now it resizes from the middle outwards so a lot of times you

Edited by Vincent C