Simplified Curved Truss Adjusting

Greetings from Landru Design!

Here is an answer to a question I've not seen asked, but might be on some of your minds (it was on mine):

I've got a project for which I'm using several truss circles. While in the concept phase, I needed an easy way to try out different circle diameters and truss widths. Spotlight's Curved Truss tool was an obvious answer but I needed it to "think" a little differently, so...

I created the simple script in the attached VW2014 drawing to adjust truss widths and circle diameters. Select the circle. Double-click on the "Curved Truss Adjust" script. A pair of dialogs will pop up - 1 for Truss Width and 1 for Circle Diameter (OD). If you change either dimension (or both), the truss will stay put relative to the initial circle's center. If you change the Truss Width, the script will adjust the Curved Truss Radius so that the overall diameter doesn't change.

Hopefully, this makes sense and makes someone else's life a little easier.

Please forgive me for intentionally posting this in the wrong place. I simply thought that this had a better chance of helping my fellow entertainment folk if here...

Very cool, Andy!

I'd like to encourage the posting of little casual scripts like this as examples for us mortals who struggle with scripts.

If you don't mind a quick question: Why ValidNumStr? Is there any case where it would return false?

Thanks for posting this.

mk

I'd like to encourage the posting of little casual scripts like this as examples for us mortals who struggle with scripts.

That's kinda the way I feel when I see what you do with Worksheets!

Why ValidNumStr? Is there any case where it would return false?

GetRField gets the contents of the given parameter - but in the form of a String (a series of text characters). ValidNumStr confirms that the String is a legitimate number, including accounting for any units marks. ValidNumStr would return FALSE if, for example, the String returned is "ABCDEF."

Make sense??

BTW, there are several other script examples @ http://www.vectorworks.net/support/custom/vscript/example.php - including different types of Plug-In Objects.