Design layer Class/Layer Visibilities

Kizza

Question

Design layer's class and layer visibility settings should be saveable on a layer by layer basis. i.e. a saveable layer/class template applicable to each design layer.

For example:

Your roof plan shows different info to your floor plans and landscape plans. If I want to make changes to the roof but the last plan I worked on was the landscape plan, then I have to tango with the class/layer visibilities to get the required info to show. So I'm happy now with the roof and I want to work on the landscape plan again. I then have to undo everything I've done with my visibility settings.

VW has a workflow structure that requires too much time to maintain i.e. Layers, Classes, Saved Views, Viewport Overides.

How about incorporating Saved View funtionality into the design layer itself and to be able to save, edit and apply different combination of settings as a pre-set to the design layer, which you can then apply to future design layers etc. Should work for all disciplines.

Edited by Kizza

5 answers to this question

Wouldn't this be just as much work as a Saved View, but only ties to a design layer instead of being a separate, manageable view? Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

Yes I guess my wish is to incorporate the saved view functionality into the design layer and relegate saved views for the specific views you need to create. (maybe for stair details, design alternative/options etc). Then Design Layers become WYSIWYG at all stages of the project.

Maybe to articulate further:

A saveable set of class visibilities (a resource perhaps?) that is attachable to a design layer (and viewports?). Saved Views can be relegated to static views of the filtered design layer.

Of course, this would go hand in hand with program wide, user definable auto classing.

P.S. adding a "Show in 3D" option to a class when created may be an additional way to refine the workflow: i.e. furniture displays in a floorplan but not required in a 3D view.