New iMac question...

I'm considering purchasing a new 27" iMac and wondering about the video card upgrade Apple offers. Will the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2GB GDDR5 be more then adequate for general 3D Modeling/Renderworks (furniture and kitchens) or is the upgrade to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5 well worth the extra $150? I realize maxing out memory gets you great bang for the buck but I'm not sure about the video card. Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Compared to the entire cost of the iMac, (and the fact that iMacs tend to be used for longer since theyre all-in-ones) $150 isn't too bad for that upgrade.

Performance-wise in the current version you may not notice much of a difference, but it will help in the way of future proofing your machine.

Also, you will not be able to so cheaply update video cards in an iMac later, if at all.

Personally i would always try a stretch for a more powerful card even if i saves 30 seconds a render multiply that by renders per day then compare that to your hourly charge you'll see the more powerful GPU pays for itself pretty quick.

Im not sure in the imacs but if the GPU is soldered to the motherboard like it is in allot of other macs you wont be able to update it later

Edited by John Whyte

Resale value is another consideration. I've found high end machines easier to sell and they have a relatively higher value. I sold a 27 iMac and a 13" MacBook Pro at the end of 2013. The iMac was top of the line. It brought top dollar and sold in a matter of hours. The 13" MacBook Pro was entry level. It took 2 months to sell, and I was disappointed by how little value it had. People who buy used machines want them to be nice and as powerful as possible. FYI... I maxed out both replacement machines I bought.

Also, you buy the best you can and you reap the benefits of extra speed for the life you use the machine. It's a win-win situation.