New vs Existing

I would like to graphically differentiate new construction vs existing construction in plans by using black lines and dark gray wall fills for the new, and gray lines and light gray wall fills for the existing. But also, some objects need to be displayed with colors that are specific to themselves.

Is there any reasonable way to do this? It seems Vectorworks is very much not set up for renovation work (for most of us, isn't renovation work a large portion of what we do?...). New vs Existing vs Demolition...

(This particular project is in Vectorworks 12 (not 2012)) but I think the question is applicable even in VW 2014...)

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thanks, Will

Well the way I do it is by classes, set the line type, color, hatch etc. Make sure the walls you use are set to use class settings and then just place the walls in the correct class and they will adopt the correct settings.

VWs is very deficient when it comes to phases and custom building standards, it has been wished for........

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=36127&Number=178173#Post178173

Edited by Vincent C

Thanks, Vincent. That's how I'm doing it, by classes. But, I use pen classes (basically, three different classes for three different line weights, and different colors to make sure things are drawn in the correct class) for hybrid symbols, which means I'll need to have two versions of each pen class (new vs existing) AND two hybrid symbols for each object that appears both as new or existing (or even three symbols if an object is also demolished...).

So, I totally agree with your https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=36127&Number=178173#Post178173 thread.

And when it comes to standard naming, rather than a button to toggle it on and off, it seems it might be better if standard naming ONLY applied during the initial placement of an object, after which the user could simply move it to another class, if so desired.

And of course it would be great if pretty much all PIOs could be set to insert on the correct class to begin with. The complex worksheet-driven standard naming system may have its place, particularly if you need to use different sets of classes, but, mostly, I wouldn't miss it on a daily basis!