Roof Cut out mess!!

OK seriously, is it not possible to edit or remove a cutout in a Roof object! That is really bad programming! It works for Slabs but not for Roof objects!? Come on people, we need a versatile program!

One little mistake and I have to recreate the whole roof including all the initial settings....... :cry:

You SHOULD be able to add and remove surface on it to modify any cutouts in any way you like.

Vincent: Could you please send me the roof object that no longer allows it, if you still have it?

How do you edit the holes? Is it possible to Add Surface? That's not working here!?

OK here's a new clean file with a Roof with 2 holes, the top hole created with the Clip Tool, the bottom hole using Clip Surface.........

Edited by Vincent C
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I don't believe it is intended to not let you Add Surface again, however that is the behavior I am seeing here as well.

Clip surface is working as expected, but Add Surface seems to behave as if it has done the operation (No error message in the message bar about illegal objects being selected) but then does not seal up the hole.

Submitting this as an issue now. I could have sworn Add and Clip surface both worked on Roof objects.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The answer is weird.

To remove these clipped peices of geometry, select the roof object, then use Modify > Edit Group

This will take you into an editing mode that will show you the original roof in addition to all clipped geometry taken from it. From this editing mode, you can alter or remove previous clips.

While this is useful, it is VERY hidden and isnt available in the contextual (right-click) menu for a roof either. I dont think a user would be able to discover this without being told except by random chance.

Request for this editing mode to be made more visible as well as including the ability to Add Surface to roof objects will be submitted here:

https://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=198019#Post198019