Curved truss

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

There is a Curved Truss tool specifically designed for this, however I believe it is only in Spotlight and Designer.

You MIGHT be able to create the path, then use Duplicate Along Path, enabling Tangent to Path as well as Keep Original Orientation to get close, but I think you are still going to have some manual cleanup to do.

i think this i has worked jim i created the 3 curved sections and then extruded a circle along a triangular path and then duplicated it on a circular array.....i use truss a lot but i don't really want to splash out on spotlight just for this tool....can we have it architect jim ?

I know it would be cheaper for them to just upgrade you to Designer w/ Renderworks (which isn't really a module by itself, just what ALL of the modules together is called) rather than add Spotlight to Architect w/ Renderworks, but you should check with your sales rep (or just email sales@vectorworks.net with your serial number included) to see what the cost would be.

It varies significantly depending upon when you bought it and if you are on Service Select or not.

I'd give you more details but I leave the exact pricing talk to sales. They know what deals are going on at the moment, special offers etc.

Hi Phil,

I'm not sure if there's a comparison chart that shows what Designer includes over Architect. Jim might be able to chime in if there is.

For years I had Spotlight. Then I worked on a big project where they had a Designer license (Olympic Ceremonies). I found I had been using various tools that weren't included in Spotlight. I would imagine the jump from Architect to Designer might be smaller than from Spotlight.

Once you do the cross grade the upgrades year to year were comparable to what I was paying in the past.

Kevin

its very raw, but this gives a complete list of what features are included in what modules. (attached is the one for Vectorworks 2014)

For anyone that already has Vectorworks installed, you should be able to find the version of this PDF for your version of Vectorworks under the main Vectorworks folder > VWHelp > Additional Documentation > Commands_Tools20XX.PDF