Changing default image export to .jpg

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Not that I am aware of, but there needs to be. JPEG2000 is not only very outmoded, it also has very few quality control options, leading many users to think that Image Export isn't a valid option as it is so low quality.

Placing a feature request now.

It works in some instances but it is inconsistent across different operating systems unfortunately. I have put in to have it directly controllable, similar to Export DWGs method of letting you save a set of custom settings as a reusable default.

That sounds like an excellent idea. Thanks Jim!

While on the topic of the Export Image function... Under 'Export Area' it would be lovely to also have the ability to simply choose a rendered viewport and have it export that. This would be in addition to 'All Visible Objects', 'Current View', 'All Pages as Single Image', 'Each Page as Separate Image', and 'Marquee'.

For example, on a sheet layer I have a viewport of a perspective view rendered in Final Quality Renderworks. I go to Export Image, select the 'Viewport' option which takes me to my drawing (kind of like Marquee does), and I single click on the desired viewport. Click Save and I'm done.

I often have multiple rendered viewports on a Sheet Layer and currently use 'Marquee' to designate the area I'd like to export. Since you can still snap to everything within that viewport sometimes it's hard to quickly and reliably click on the outermost corner of the viewport. Because I'm making constant updates and continually exporting the same viewport (in order to have a 'history' of jpegs), I really want to be consistent in the exported area. It seems like doing this by Viewport rather than by Marquee would help make it an easier task.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks again!

It does indeed, Publish gets close by letting you select individual sheet layers, but often you only want the viewport contents saved as an image. I, too, always just used Marquee and then had to crop out anything extra on the edges I got later.

I'll submit that now.