Theater tutorial label legend

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That would be the "J Rotation" field in the Object Info Palette for this object.

If you want to get rid of the 2D Plan component, you would uncheck Draw Pipe and Draw Tick Marks, check "Show Footprint" then it will display as a 3D footprint only.

What exactly is the object you are trying to rotate. The Light Position object is basically a wrapper that allows lighting positions of any geometry to interact with Lighting Devices. It has no 3D rotation parameters.

The Lighting Pipe object can rotate to be vertical. Use the j rotation parameter in its Object Info palette parameters. Because it is hybrid (separate 2D and 3D representations), you cannot rotate it with the Rotate 3D command, if that is what you tried.

-Josh

When doing the Theater tutorial that came with Spotlight there is a vertical truss on the stage right side, however in 3d view that truss is horizontal. I was just wondering if there was a way to make it appear vertical for a rendering. I am a complete beginner so there must be a reason its not vertical that I don't understand yet.

I have attached a screen capture. The light pole I am trying to rotate is orange. I believe its object info that you are talking about is open on the right. I don't see J rotation in that window.

Thanks

Seth,

Take another look at my descriptions the previous post. The Light Position Object cannot set a rotation. You would need to rotate the geometry within the LPO's symbol, which defines its geometry. In your case that's the 20' pipe. If you use the 20' pipe symbol in a horizontal configuration, you will probably want to duplicate the symbol. The geometry within that symbol can rotate. Truss and Lighting Pipe objects rotate via object info. Simple Extrudes can rotate with Rotate 3D or by using the Rotate tool.

Note, symbols will not rotate with the position. For that, you may want to take advantage of Create Plot and Model View. Having lights snap to a 3D position is a common request, but it is not possible at this time.

HTH,

Josh

When doing the Theater tutorial that came with Spotlight there is a vertical truss on the stage right side, however in 3d view that truss is horizontal. I was just wondering if there was a way to make it appear vertical for a rendering...

Seth -

Short answer to your question: Absolutely!

Longer answer: The best way I've found to do this is to use Design Layer ViewPorts. You can do that "manually" using the approach we discussed in our recent Unsung Heroes webinar or somewhat more automatically using the "Plot and Model View" command. The attached file will give you an idea as to how the "manual" process might work.

Regards -