Scrambled Text in pdf Export

I had the same today.

We use an OpenTypeFont, built for our office.

When i use the publish command, the text gets scrambled when i open the pdf with the preview app. Opening the same pdf with acrobat pro shows the font as it shall be.

Doing the pdf again via the print dialog and choosing open with preview shows everything is ok...

Sounds weird but happened...

Is vw using different routines to generate pdf?s?

Edited by bjoerka

Here are two pdf?s.

One generated with the publish command, the other one with print and save as pdf...

What is weired is that when you open the pdf generated by the publish command with Acrobat Pro everything is fine. Opening it with preview it gets scrambled...

Tested this with other applications to check if it belongs to the font and there everything is fine (Pages, Numbers, InDesign, Illustrator, Word, Vectorworks 2011)

Also tested this with another font. Minion.

Left side shows the result with publish command, right side with print-> save as pdf.

jangled.png

minion.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If thats the case, then sometimes it can be resolved while leaving Rasterize off, by going to Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display and changing the setting for GDI Imaging (Windows) or Quartz Imaging (Mac).

Some fonts need it on, some need it off. It doesn't always work with any font, but its worth trying when custom fonts aren't behaving properly.

However that option can affect your transparencies if used in the document, so make sure to check them before printing.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Then for that font it will have to have Rasterized Text, or a different font would have to be used.

What were the names (and types) of all of the fonts used that have failed you so far? I have not submitted specific font names before as requests, but there may be something that can be done in future releases to support them.

We have an own font that was built for our office. It is very similar to the Gravur font. And as it is our housefont we have to use it.

If you want it for internal testing for the future i can send it to you.

The other that i used for the test was Minion, but it also occurs with Gravura and Akzidenz Grotesk.

Edited by bjoerka
  • 9 months later...