layer z question

If I have mod-floor-1 with a layer z = 0 layer +- = 2700, and mod-floor-2 with layer z = 2700 layer +- = 2700 , change to standard view left on both layers, then make both layers visible I would expect to see mod-layer-2 above mod-layer 1. But of course I don't, so what am I misunderstanding?

thx in advance

Mat, if you change the two layers to the same view and they are the only two layers, you should see them.

Are they stacked on top of each other or is there a huge gap between them?

THe z value in the layers dialog box is where in the elevation this layer will start.

the delta z value defines the thickness of the layer.

Exampe of a 2 story house with 8' walls (no slab)

Basement -

z = -8'

delta z = 8'

(this puts it below the ground 8 feet with a thickness of 8 feet since I have 8 foot walls.)

Floor 1

z= 0'

deltaz = 8'

(The first floor starts at 8' above where the basement started and is only 8' high because of the walls)

Floor 2

z = 8'

delta z = 8"

(Floor 2 starts 8 feet above where floor 1 started since floor 1 was 8 feet high. This floor is also 8 feet high).

Now say I want a 3rd floor that has 12' walls.

Floor 3 -

z =16'

delta z= 12'

(Floor 3 starts 8 feet above where floor two started since that floor at 8 foot walls. I have 12' walls for this floor so my delta z will reflect that. )