Setting file name when using File > Export > Export PDF (batch)

Ive just started using Architect (been using Fundamentals for years).

The main reason ive changed is to take advantage of the bath PDF export option, as you can imagine exporting 30 pdfs individually is no fun..

What i cant work out is how to name the files so that when i use File > Export > Export PDF (batch) it will leave me with the correctly named PDF.

Our file naming structure is :

Drawing Name - Rev num - Project Name

so they come out something like

Decor Plan - 1.1 - The Grove

So ive setup the sheet name like this

eMOGhgw.png

But when i export it by going to File > Export > Export PDF (batch) > Select the sheets i want > Hit Export .. i get left with files named The Grove.pdf

Whats the correct way to do this ?

I was thinking of writing the full file name under the 'sheet title' section, but then id have to write the Project Name in on each sheet, i thought there would be an automated way to append that to the end of the file name, so all id have to write each time were the Drawing Name and the rev number... any ideas ?

Edited by LLI Design

Our file naming structure is :

Drawing Name - Rev num - Project Name

so they come out something like

Decor Plan - 1.1 - The Grove

Whats the correct way to do this ?

I was thinking of writing the full file name under the 'sheet title' section, but then id have to write the Project Name in on each sheet, i thought there would be an automated way to append that to the end of the file name, so all id have to write each time were the Drawing Name and the rev number... any ideas ?

Batch export pdf Always creates the name as: sheet number [sheet name].pdf

You could make a script that changes the name of your sheet layers, or you could write a script in you os to append the file names?

Or you could try to go with a slightly different filename structure, like 'The Grove - 1.1 [Decor Plan]', then you only have to add 'The Grove -' after the pdf's are created, or you could add that to the sheet number. Sometimes it's much easier to go with what you can get.

Having the project name first will make your file names much more readable, just try it and see....

Edited by DWorks

If your batch export would be used to export separate PDF's its easy to change the name trough script.

With OpenPDFDocument('filename without extension') the name can be changed.

However, when not separated the above will be ignored and the name of the current active drawing will be used instead.

Thanks, i agree with change the naming stucture and thats how we originally had it, we had to change it though becuase after we create the pdfs we put them into Dropbox so all the team can view them on there ipads when out and about, but in dropbox on the ipad you only get a short about of the file title shown about 20 chars, so we were ending up with a menu in dropbox looking like

- The Grove - De...

- The Grove - Fl...

- The Grove - Se...

- The Grove - Ho...

and it was impossable to tell which files which..

Edited by LLI Design
Thanks, i agree with change the naming stucture and thats how we originally had it, we had to change it though becuase after we create the pdfs we put them into Dropbox so all the team can view them on there ipads when out and about, but in dropbox on the ipad you only get a short about of the file title shown about 20 chars, so we were ending up with a menu in dropbox looking like

- The Grove - De...

- The Grove - Fl...

- The Grove - Se...

- The Grove - Ho...

and it was impossable to tell which files which..

If that's the only way you can view the filenames on that dropbox app, then it's a very bad implementation, that's the programmer speaking in me. You always have to make sure the user sees everything he needs to see.... Maybe you should use some other service? (Like SkyDrive, ...)

You can batch PDF saved views of your sheet layers that are named the way your firm/studio wants them. We append the Job and revision number to the name of the PDF for correct filing. Also this makes sure guides class or any other classes that might be used in the sheet layer are turned off, even when you are not in that sheet layer.

Much easier. Hope that helps.

You can batch PDF saved views of your sheet layers that are named the way your firm/studio wants them. We append the Job and revision number to the name of the PDF for correct filing. Also this makes sure guides class or any other classes that might be used in the sheet layer are turned off, even when you are not in that sheet layer.

Much easier. Hope that helps.

That's a great tip!