Fix Bezier / Adobe Illustrator Support

Kevin McAllister

Question

I just spent way too much time trying to get a vector logo from Illustrator into Vectorworks. After a bunch of import/export workarounds I finally managed to get what I need. But a shape that has 24 vertices in Illustrator has 138 in VW?!? So frustrating.

Adobe Illustrator has been the standard for vector graphics for years. CNC machines and laser cutters speak this language. So do graphics departments. Proper import/export options into Vectorworks are essential and long overdue. Options that preserve not only the appearance but the number/types of points and the knock out shapes. When they are imported they need to be editable too. Oh, and add a simplify/rebuild polyline command while you're at it.

(Yeah, yeah, all the resources are going into BIM but some of us need basic interfaces to other design disciplines. They get used daily.)

Kevin

3 answers to this question

Kevin,

I agree. VW could take a serious lesson from AI. VW's path tools are horrible. Basically you have to plop a polygon on the page, and then work, work, work to shape it the way you want. And then try to add a curve point to a polygon. OMG! Good luck it that doesn't drive you nuts. AI's simplify dialog box with a preview option is very nice and controllable. We need that in VW.