Wall Styles: simplifying 2D representation?

For some time now we've generally used wall component attributes to control the appearance of walls on our construction phase floor plans. Too often, however, this isn't enough to differentiate wall types, especially internal walls.

One option is to turn off Wall Components in the Viewport and use Wall Attributes to give the walls a simpler graphic representation. How this forces you to do this for all walls and we'd rather not. We'd rather keep using Wall Components to represent external masonry cavity wall construction for example.

So if you want full control you end up having to edit your Wall Components manually (instead of being controlled by Class), which we'd rather not do as we're then unable to override them. Or you end up having to have split all your material component Classes up into ones you want to override and ones you don't want to override, which we definitely don't want to do.

So how are others doing it?

I "think" I know what you are asking, but do you have an example of what you would like it to look like, ideally?

I guess; simply overriding the classes in the viewport isn't giving you enough flexibility, right? I know for our wall styles, we always had a few viewports off to the side with modified class settings in them, to change the appearance of our plans. We typically used them for schematic design.

Matt

Yup, I also have problems related to this:

3 potential situations I need:

1. All components visible for detail purposes. (Solution: component details visible in the default way, components placed in 'predefined classes' walls placed in Predefined class.)

2. No components visible however 3 representations for existing, new and demolition (Solution: Component details hidden + class overrides, components placed in 'Object class', walls placed in Selected classes)

3. Combined components showing only load bearing and non-load bearing. (Solution: class overrides, components placed in a combination of predefined and Object classes, walls placed in Selected classes.)

Obviously it's not possible to create wall types that work in all these 3 situations ergo = problems!

A combination of 2 and 3 is impossible, in Sweden we don't show components in walls in plan as in Solution 1 so non of it works for me!

A solution to all of this is if we could override wall types in VPs.......

Or if we had materials we could override in VPs :grin:

Edited by Vincent C

I think it would need to be wall types because if you leave it to materials you might have a material in one wall type that you want to show but not in another wall type.

Another solution might be the ability to switch between Wall Attributes and Component Attributes in the object info palette for any given instance of a wall (instead of on a design layer or viewport basis). We could then have three options when it comes to design layers and viewports: 1. Use/show wall component attributes 2. Use/show wall attributes 3. Individual control (defaulting to wall components).

This perhaps doesn't give as much control as I would like but it's simple.

I think it would need to be wall types because if you leave it to materials you might have a material in one wall type that you want to show but not in another wall type.

Another solution might be the ability to switch between Wall Attributes and Component Attributes in the object info palette for any given instance of a wall (instead of on a design layer or viewport basis). We could then have three options when it comes to design layers and viewports: 1. Use/show wall component attributes 2. Use/show wall attributes 3. Individual control (defaulting to wall components).

This perhaps doesn't give as much control as I would like but it's simple.

Or the ability to override the classes for each wall style....

In the current condition, I think making some extra classes will do the job in a clean manner.

I wonder what this command does...

Edit:

It appears to turn off wall components where a certain scale threshold is reached.

Edit again:

I can easily set the wall style to use my presentation style (black fill) and use this function to turn on the components for the construction details.

Edited by Kizza