Can't import any dxf/dwg files w/ 9.5.3b2

We have great success (except for viewports) importing DWG's into VW. We are Mac based, OS 10.1.5, using VW 9.5.1 on Powerbook G3's and G4's. We just use the "Import..." command under File, and let it do its thing. We do usually import leyers as classes, and follow the color to line weight numbers. I've had good success importing image files, like PDF's, into VW files using the same command. As I said, viewports require extra work. We do have a mech. engineer who does not use viewports for our projects, which is really great.

You might explain in detail what does, or does not, work when you try to import...

if you haven't already tried this, restart at least VW if not the whole machine. After i read your post I tried importing a file I had imported successfully in recent past (into 9.5.3b2 on 10.2.1), and it failed rather spectacularly, to the point where my only option was a force quit. (a endless loop requesting permission to update a preferences file from 8 to 9, then telling me that it was already 9 occasionally a window would come up reporting a problem including the some path/window.vss

I force quit VW, went out to a meeting, upon my return fired up VW and imported the file without any problems. I have noticed that 9.5.3.b2 gets a little buggy as time passes, so am slowly getting myself in the habit of being ergonomic and quitting, restarting and taking a break every so often. I mentioned before where the escape key stops working, well it seems to happen after about an hour or so on my G4 10.2.1

Here's something to try, which might be completely unrelated but which seems to clear up some general OSX weirdness so i thought i'd mention it...

Run Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility

Choose First Aid pane

Choose your startup drive

Choose "Repair Disk Permissions"

If you continue to have this problem let me know; i haven't seen anything like it.