Cabinet pull

I'm attaching two images of a bin pull I'd like to add to the Cabinet Pulls file in Vectorworks, so that it will be available to me when using VW cabinet objects. I know it must be simple, but honestly, I've wracked my brain trying to figure it out, and finally decided it would be much easier to ask the experts.

I've attached two pics of the bin pull in question. I'd like to know how to do it myself, rather than having one of you make it and attach it. Not that I wouldn't appreciate it! I'd just like to further my skill to do these things on my own.

While I'm at it, I'll ask one more question. It is in regard to the textures of existing hardware objects in the cabinet pulls file. They have finishes attached to them, such as chrome, brass, black, etc. I've looked at the symbols, and edited them to see the actual object, but I can't find any color or texture assigned to them. Where do the finish textures for these items come from, if not attached to the symbol itself?

Sorry for the rambling nature of this post, but that's my style! LOL!

Thanks, and I hope someone out there can help!

BinPull01.jpg

BinPull02.jpg

Edited by Chris Fleming

For the cup, cut a 2d oval in half, or draw a symmetric spline or bezier

Sweep it 90?

For the edge bands, use offsets of the same curves. Extrude or Convert to NURBS surfaces. Rotate one of them 90? to meet the cup edge

Convert the whole thing to NURBS and Shell for thickness.

Or loft the shapes & shell.

Post back with some images as you work through it.

-B

Wow. I can't believe how difficult this is. I've had no luck at all, even with your instructions.

I was able to sweep a 2d oval that had accurate height and depth dimensions, however, the sweep always made a perfect arc. The actual pull is more elongated.

I never made it far enough to attempt building the flanges. I appreciate the input Benson, and I absolutely know the problem is mine!

Here's my file to see my feeble attempt.

BiRail Loft is probably your best bet. If you really need multiple compound curves you will probably need to break it up into pieces and then combine the surfaces (or add solids).

My bigger question is how closely will these pulls be seen in your drawings/renderings? You could spend a lot of time making it perfect for something that will never be more than 1/4" across in a rendering.

I always recommend thinking of the final use of the object before you decide the level of detail that you need.

As a modeling exercise, this is great. But Pat's comment for what goes in a drawing is very apt.

Here is how to do what I said. I added a new layer to your orig drawing. Open the drawing, look at the new layer, Render Open GL, Flyover and examine.

-B

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8900&filename=BinPull.png

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=8906&filename=BinPullAxio.png

Edited by Benson Shaw

Wow! Thank you so much Benson! That is exactly how I'd like it to look. Your attachments are great and have helped me understand the process so much better. I'm sorry that you had to go to so much trouble (but I'm glad you did).

Pat, for the majority of our renderings, the pulls are much further away and the details won't be apparent. However, there are many times when we'll be showing a countertop edge detail or cabinet opening detail where the image is very close, and the pull would be "up front and center". I plan on saving the pull into the hardware file within VW to have it available as I'm designing.

Thank so much!

Decided to come back with my final results. Once again, it's amazing how easy it can be if you know what you're doing. Thanks again Benson!

I did stray from your method on the final. I wanted to ease some edges etc. and wasn't able to successfully fillet the object if I shelled it all as one. I ended up using the shell tool on the pieced indiviudually. I then used the "add solids" command. After that I was able to Fillet where I needed.

Added to my cabinet pulls file and can use it on all VW cabinet objects from the OIP now.

BinPullAxio2.png

Edited by Chris Fleming

Looks great, Chris! Thanks for showing your finals.

In Vectorworks, there are usually several options. Here is an EAP approach to modeling this drawer pull with the fillets:

Make those eased edges and fillets with Extrude Along Path - essentially sweeping a cross section of the flange (eg a rectanglish poly with 2 rounded corners and a bump for the fillet along the cup) along a polyline of the edge. An EAP retains its history - both profile and path can be edited (the profile centers on the path, so often needs edit to move one edge or the other onto the path). This is usually easier for me than fillets. But fillets are fine, too.

In this scenario the cup is a sweep with a shell, the front and back flanges are EAPs, the back plate is an extrude which fits inside the back flange EAP. Components can be modeled separately, then moved/rotated together. Group or solid addition if desired.

Make it a symbol for ease of editing and to keep the render times down when there are many of drawer pulls in a drawing.

-B