Inserting doors in walls

Hello folks--

I'm just getting up to speed on Architect 2013 and am stumped.

I have inserted doors and windows in this document and now I cannot.

Any suggestions? I'm sure it is something simple that I'm missing.

I have a wall selected, a door symbol active and the insertion mode up top chosen.

What the heck? The door won't 'lock in'.

Thanks

I was having the same problem and figured it out. I was selecting the wall, changing the active class (I have a separate "door" class so I can turn them on and off without affecting the walls) and then trying to insert the door...this does not work.

It only works if you place the door in the same class as the wall that the door will be inserted into (you can change the doors class after), or it will work regardless of active class if you're set to "show/snap/modify others".

You will know if the door is going to insert properly by looking at the wall before you click. Hover over the wall in the place where you want the door. If the wall gets a red colored outline, it will insert properly.

I ran into the same problem with the Spotlight "Ganging" tool for some reason. I have to set to "show/snap/modify others" for it to work.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Discovery #2, If you have a non-wall item (i.e. a line, a rectangle etc...) that intersects the wall where you want to insert the door, this will cause it to not work. I was using a line, perpendicular to my wall, to mark where I wanted the door to insert and when I hovered anywhere over the actual line, the wall wouldn't turn red. To solve this, I moved the line so that it doesn't connect with my wall, activated my door tool, hover over the line endpoint to activate a smart point, and then use the smart point to line up where I wanted my door to be in the wall.

Edited by NeenahTD
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...