Buncha basic questions

How do I incorporate multiple layers into a flyover (or any other identical view

Take a peek at layer linking in the User's Guide. This is what you want to use to be able to change the view of several layers in a model representation all at one time.

What's the easiest way to move walls and associated symbols to another floor (layer) so that they acquire it's Z characteristics?

If you moved them via the OIP - select the walls and windows - go to the OIP, Layers Drop down box - change layer to correct layer, it should have taken on the correct settings. Make sure you have the correct z and delta z values of that new layer before you change yer walls over to it.

3. Created a floor with a stairway/balcony opening. The edge of the opening doesn't seem to wanna have a texture. What to do?

If you click on the object (floor) and click on the Texture Tab from the OIP, do you have 3 mapping dialog boxes? If so, make sure you map the texture to the correct sections there.

4. Would I be better off skipping walls and just extruding them as solids? But then doors and windows and textures are a pain. Can working planes somehow help?

Hmm .. this is hard. If you didn't have the doors and windows to contend with, you could use an extrude for the walls and use the intersect solids command. BUT since you have the doors and windows, hmm .. i dunno. Can you draw a 3d polygon where the nurbs surface is, then reshape the walls to meed that 3d poly. Then delete the 3d poly?I'ts alot of extra work, I know. I can't think of another way though .. not right now. My brain's being testing today .. it's on overload.

What's OIP?

When I select the floor object, it's listed as a "floor" type, but there's only one texture option. Walls have 3, but not the floor.

If a wall is in a layer and the layer has Z of 10 and delta Z of 15, should the wall be showing a Z of 10 or should it show a Z of 0 and then draw at proper Z as part of a linked layer? i.e., is the wall Z absolute or relative to the laer Z?

If a train is going west at 80 mph, and a bus is going north at 60, ........oops, wrong forum...

Could sectioning the ellipsoid surface along the wall help? Maybe give me the line to move each vertex to? Tried 2D section but the result wasn't what I expected. Gotta investigate more.

Thanks for the help, Katie.

quote:

Originally posted by Cloud Hidden:

Could sectioning the ellipsoid surface along the wall help? Maybe give me the line to move each vertex to? Tried 2D section but the result wasn't what I expected. Gotta investigate more.

Your on the right track. Try the split tool using the Split by Line Mode.

What I would do is make a copy of your nurb. Split the copy and the use the extract curve tool to get the cut line. Copy that, delet the rest of the copy of the Nurb, and past the curve back onto the origional Nurb. You could put it into its own class so you can turn it off later, but I would keep it around for reference.

good Luck

[ 08-29-2002: Message edited by: MikeB ]

Thanks Mike. I'll try that.

Here's more. Most of the classes default to line weight of 1. Even at typical architectural scale on an 11 x 17 Laser, that doesn't print thick enough for a normal human eye to see. Do I keep having to redefine all the classes to 6? Or set up a template with everything as 6? Any better ways? And what to do about objects brought in as objects that use a line weight of 1. How to get them to always be a 6? And even worse, some of them (kitchen appliances, for example) haven't seemed to use a 6 line weight even when I edited the class. What could I be missing? It's a pain to have the client ask where the frig is, and you say, "Right there, can't you see it.....oh never mind."

Brain is saturated with switching to VW from something else, so apologies if the answers should be obvious or are clearly documented. Brain cramps are preventing me from seeing the obvious...

1. Using layers for different floors. Wanna see them in 3D and flyover, but only the active layer goes 3D....the others stick with whatever view they were in when active. How do I incorporate multiple layers into a flyover (or any other identical view)? Is this a job for sheets or parent layers or...?

2. Absent-mindedly created walls w/ windows in a layer w/o a Z and delta Z. Reassign them to a layer w/ Z and delta Z. Their Z values don't change. Even if I select the wall and set Z via Object Info, windows stay at ground floor level. What's the easiest way to move walls and associated symbols to another floor (layer) so that they acquire it's Z characteristics?

3. Created a floor with a stairway/balcony opening. The edge of the opening doesn't seem to wanna have a texture. What to do?

4. My walls need to terminate at the top of an ellipsoid. Asked before, and advice was to add and edit verticies. OK. Still giving me nightmares, because it's a guessing game with a NURBS surface where exactly the wall and surface intersect. Any hints to improve the process? Landscapers have that "drop to surface" concept that would be ideal here ("raise to surface"). Would I be better off skipping walls and just extruding them as solids? But then doors and windows and textures are a pain. Can working planes somehow help? Need some way for each wall to know where it meets this curved ceiling, so I have a clue about setting the Z on a vertex.

Thanks for any ideas.

A template is probably your best idea. When ever we start a new project, I sit down with the project manager and set up a new template for that project, this was we can accomodate the differences between project managers, and still maintain some uniformity throughout the office.

As far as objects not taking on the class attributes, make sure they are set to use the class line wt in the attributes palette. In the case of symbols, you will have to edit the symbol to change the line wt, simply assigning the line wt to the symbol won't change anything.

Good Luck

Thanks, as always.

So what's the theory behind line weight of 1? Does it work with the large format plotters/printers--you know, the kind I don't have? Does anyone else have that weight print fine on a laser? I like the fine lines wherever possible, but this is sooooo fine as to be unusable, and it's frustrating to have to change every default and every object. I keep thinking I gotta be missing something stupidly obvious.

If you deselect all of your object (click on the background of your drawing), you can set the document default line weight by using the attribute pallet.

Once the default is set, then every new object drawn or class created will take that as it's value.

Of course, you still have to change the existing classes.

Matthew GiampapaNNA Technical Support

Cloud, The questions you are asking are all important! In my opinion, the very best thing you could do is either find a trainer in your neighborhood or go to one the seminars by Nemetschek or Improbability. That will set you off in the right direction. This is a HUGE piece of software and I found it incredibly helpful to attend a three day seminar, even after using the program for 5+ years!!! PLC