Wall/slab/roof components as a Resource

Christiaan

Question

Kingspan insulation products have recently been added to the UK's nationalbimlibrary.com:

http://www.nationalbimlibrary.com/kingspan-insulation

If you download the VW version they're modelled as walls and slabs. It occurred to me that it could be quite handy if wall/slab/roof components were a resource in their own right, that you could then insert into walls/slabs/roofs.

P.S. as an aside I'm surprised the Kingspan objects don't have any IFC data associated, such as their R-Value, manufacturer, etc.

6 answers to this question

Wouldn't component resources be handy when it comes to the final stage of a BIM model? Manufacturers products (like cladding boards, insulation, membranes, blockwork, etc.) could be shared as components (with their respective IFC data). Import them into a file and then insert them into a wall, floor or roof.

Otherwise the only way to share these components is for them to be modelled as standalone walls, floors or roofs. Which makes it impossible to insert into an existing wall.

Or am I missing something on the Materials front?

Well ultimately both would be appreciated, that way we save the most time in the end.

Components = thickness, top and bottom bound, slab (and roof) bounding, material take-offs, fire rating, insolation values etc.

Materials = (plan, section, elevation) hatches, textures, line-types, fills, tiles, bump maps, class overrides etc.

Edited by Vincent C