"hidden" lines showing in Top/Plan Mode?

archdaly

Hey everyone.

I have been using VW2011 for a while but have just started using it as a 3D tool. I have been drawing slab elements and stairs etc by extruding the geometries (the shapes are too complex to use the standard tools)

All objects have a solid fill. However, when I set the view to Top/Plan I am able to see every line in the geometry (as if the object were transparent) which has made reading the drawing extremely confusing.

I'm not able to achieve an orthogonal plan view without having to re-draw 2d objects on top of the 3d images. I realize that I can make every object a symbol, allowing me to edit both the 2d and 3d appearance however when I enter 2d editing mode the 3d geometry disappears entirely!

Is there anyway around this?

Thanks!

An "Extrude" is always see through in top/plan. It's part of what makes Vectroworks Vectorworks. There are many ways to achieve what you want. You might want to try using "Floors" and "Stairs" and other built-in tools which already have 2d/3d Hybrid capabilities. Or you might want to use "Create Symbol" using 2d and 3d objects.

Another alternative is to render in Hidden Line or Open GL (fastest). That will give all your extrudes solidity...