Vertical focus point

pytld

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The focus point accepts a height so simply place it at the correct Z height. You can choose one of the standard shapes or a custom shape that draws the focus point vertically.

The wire frame beam shown by "Draw Beam" will only be vertical when the lighting device and the focus point are very close to the same Z height. The rendered light will interact with the wall and floor more accurately.

When I have tried placing the focus point on a wall, I get a flat area in the x-y plane that cannot have a z-component. It will not let me rotate this flat x-y focus point to the x-z or y-z plane. Maybe it should be called the focus plane tool, because it's not really a point at all. If the light is close to the same z-zxis as the focus point, it doesn't draw the beam well at all.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can not rotate a hybrid object. The focus point is just a point in space, the light is focused at the insertion point of the object regardless of the shape. The shape is there just so you can select and move the focus point.

If you want a vertical focus point representation select one of the vertical focus point shapes or create a custom one.