Pallet Presets

ChadL

Question

The main computer I use VW on is my laptop. Sometime I use it on my desk with 2 external monitors, and sometimes I use it on the road with no external monitors. I would love to see a pallet preset function. This way I can have a preset for my multi-monitor setup and for my single screen setup, and I would only have to click on the preset instead of re-sizing and moving all my pallets.

6 answers to this question

Chad & Kevin, this is a "Workspace" thing. Yes it would be nice to have a presets Toggle switch, but in the meantime on each machine save the setup in the Palettes Menu (Save Palette Positions), then hunt down the folder VW has just indicated were it has saved it

Mac/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks/Year.noindex/Workspaces/"Your Personal Gubbins" . . . . .

Give it a recognizable name! Save a copy on a USB stick.

Then you can drop it into the "Workspace Folder" on absolutely any Mac you work on and select your Workspace from the Workspaces Menu. This will not mess up someone elses VW. Just remember before you hand it back to them you reselect the WS they were using.

Not so sure about a windows box but shouldn't be too dissimilar.

Not as good as a Toggle Switch, but it does the job.

Andi

Hey Andi,

This solution works fine if you are switching between computers, but in my case I am using the same computer with different display setups. I have also used the save Palette Positions, but I don't think it really does anything. If I close VW it already remembers where my palettes are for the next time I open it. I have used the Save Palette Positions tool before, and had VW crash later in the session, only to reopen VW and find my palettes are not where they were when I saved them.

As far as setting up different Workspaces to have my 'palette preset,' I don't think that will work because in order to change the workspace you have to open VW. Once you open VW and have your 2 monitor palette position open, it will move your palettes and then save their new position to that workspace. Then next time you go back to your 2 screen workspace you have to move your palettes again.