drawing an arched platform in V2010

I am trying to draw up the plans to make a circular platform with a diameter of 16'-11 5/8". I will be making a center square out of 4'x8' platforms and a 4'x4' platform, for a 12'x12' square.

I need to draw the 8 arching platforms that make up the perimeter. Each will comprise 1/8 of the circle, with straight dimensions of 2'-5 7/8"x6', with a hypotenuse of 6'-5 7/8".

I have mostly taught myself this program, and am not sure how to draw the corresponding arch to complete this drawing. I'll bet it's something simple that I just don't know, or long since forgot. Anyone have an answer for me? Does this make any sense?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Hi Jim,

I would start with the plan. Draw your desired circle, draw your interior risers and then draw where you want to cut the remaining pieces up. Once you have the boundary edges you can use the paint bucket mode of the Polygon tool to create your polygons. Once you have your polygons you can use the offset tool to draw framing etc. or loft things into 3D.

Kevin

PS. I dragged the circle radius slightly larger, matching it to the corner of the risers.

ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7967&filename=Round%20Platform.jpg

Edited by Kevin McAllister

Thanks for this: I have already drawn the circle and interior platforms, but I'm not seeing the polygon tool you are mentioning?

I'd show you, but every time I try to screengrab this thing it doesn't seem to work correctly.

Is it just that we are using two different versions? I have Vectorworks 2010

It's a mode of the 2d Polygon Tool. In the mode bar choose the paint bucket. Your cursor changes to a paint bucket. Click inside an area enclosed by several shapes, and in a moment or two a new polygon appears on the drawing on top of the enclosing objects and same shape as enclosed area. Switch to selection tool and click the new poly to confirm.

If the shapes do not actually enclose an area, the tool may fail, or the new poly will sneak through any openings and include adjacent contiguous areas.

Lasso mode does same function to create a new poly outside of intersecting shapes.

-B