Data tab info transfer. Bug?

File1.vwx contains a circle with "CircleA" entered in the OIP>Data tab>Name field.

If I duplicate the circle, the dupe has no entry in OIP>Data>Name.

If I copy/paste CircleA, the copy has name Circle A-2.

The Duplicate command does not produce a named dupe? Bug?

If I Copy CircleA and Paste into a new File2.vwx, the new circle shows CircleA in Data tab. (that's expected)

If I Group CircleA (in File1.vwx) then copy/paste the group into File2.vwx, the new group contains a circle, but enter the group and find no name in the circle's data tab.

Shouldn't the name data copy to new file even if object is contained in a group? Bug?

-B

One and only one object in a file can have the same name.

So if you duplicate the object the public ate has no name as that function is entirely handled inside vectorworks.

If you copy paste the object, it goes onto the system clipboard. When you paste it it "changes" the name so it is not a duplicate.

The rules are not very clear except that one and only one object can use a name in a inlet drawing.

Try to create a class called Door in a new file and then use the door tool and see what happens. Or Window. Or Sab.

Pat

Thanks, Pat -

OK, not a bug. Seems quirky to me that Vectorworks detects a name conflict in both processes, but deletes name in one process and adds to the name in the other.

All the Duplicate commands (Along Path, Array, Move by Points) could assign sequential suffixes to the dupes, at least as an option. This would offer another sorting method, and a way to get them into a worksheet with differentiated names.

Anyone have comment about transfer to another file?

Object retains the name data when Copy/Paste into new file.

But same object when grouped loses its name when pasted into a new file (enter the group to verify, or ungroup).

-B