Convert to Lines

GWS

Question

I do quite a bit of exporting for waterjet/laser cutting and CNC routing.

Often I will take a 3D object, look at one surface and convert to lines to create outlines for the machining/cutting.

The trouble is that any rounded or curved edge turns into a series of short straight lines rather than arcs.

I then compose these lines and use arc smoothing to convert to a single polyline.

Arc smoothing is temperamental & depending on the zoom level you are at, it can change a simple circle into an odd shape

It would be great if either the convert to lines maintained the arc format of circles or better still if there was a tool that converted the outlines to continuous polylines particularly suited for water or laser cutting.

2 answers to this question

I agree, convert to lines is not great.

There is a workaround that might help you, especially if your working from a 3D model. Use the Extract tool. Make sure "Create Planar Objects" is turned on in its tool preferences. Select the surface you want to use (it will highlight in red) and click enter or hit the green check mark. It will create a polyline of your surface. Its a 2d object but oriented in 3D space. Change it from 3D to a screen object in the OIP by selecting Screen from the Plane drop down.

Ideally converts to lines would create polylines instead...

Kevin