Symbols that aren't

So I have this festival rep plot that goes out, gets up and down graded to accommodate different versions of VW. By the time it comes back, sometimes the symbols aren't symbols anymore. It looks like a symbol. All the info (symbol itself, unit number, channel number, dimmer number, etc.) is still there but has turned into simple text and graphics elements grouped. If you click on the instrument no lighting data shows up in the Obj Info window. So forget exporting to LW.

This may have been covered somewhere but I can't find it. And this is nothing new, it has happened before when working for some dance companies a few years back. But I am at a loss as to where the problem might be centered to come up with a work around.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe

Furthest backwards VW version I know of is v.12. I know of at least one "circuit" that did not have Autocad in the mix. Others, I can't attest to.

Command-K, huh? I've been using VW since it was Blueprint (pre-MiniCAD) and I had no idea Command-K trashed symbols. Never used it. Only ever did plots. (Draw line, place symbol, export data to Filemaker or LW, fix mistakes, print.)

Sounds like a beer AND a tequila penalty. Filthy animals.

Joe

What I have found through the years and upgrading from v12 to vw2012 is that incorrect migrating happend.

This cuased symbols to either dissapear visually but can still be selected with data loss.

The only way to get the info correct into vw 2012 was to migrate through each version of VW, and even then some info can be lost if you are not carefull.

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=34324&Number=169257#Post169257