Hatching (not objects)

I'm new to VW here. I'm starting to use VW 2010 with a new company.

Do I understand correctly that VW will only hatch objects? In AutoCAD I'm used to being able to pick inside of a space created by lines and fill it with a hatch pattern without the need to create a closed polyline around the area. If this is the case it's going to take a lot of getting used to...especially when doing exterior elevations where I use a lot of patterns and shading.

Yes. Only objects that can have a fill, like rectangles, polylines, polygons, arcs, circles, etc can have hatches.

You might want to look at the polygon tool in the 2nd ("paint bucket") mode.

If your lines are connected it will drop the polygon right in. Use classes to control graphic attributes and you can create shingle or siding classes with a hatch fill and no pen and click away.

In general, VW is much more efficient if you don't draw with lines, but with objects. You can still use the above method to apply hatches to elevation viewports....

hth

mk

There are 2 ways to do this:

1: Select all objects that define the region then use the Modify>Hatch command, the problem with this is that the hatch that is created is simply a group of lines.

2: Use the 2D polygon tool and select the correct line and hatch fill settings as Michael suggested above.

Personally I would go with #2 because it is much easier to edit and adjust later......