Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Protect Plugins

Hello,

I develop plug-ins for a butch of Interior architect from my company. I know how to encrypt the scripts, but I would like to prevent the users of using the plug-ins outside of the firms purpose. (Especialy for the employees that could leave the company...)

It thought about checking if the currents serial number is in the list of the company ones but it is not very handy.

the list would need to be encrypted with the plug-ins and those would need to be reencrypted each time the company buys a new VW licence...

Anyone has an idea?

The last six digits of the VW serial number constitutes a user seat. Each is unique, and usually stays the same through upgrades. For my plug-in products, I generate a registration key based on the VW seat, the plug-in product and version, and the type of license. The user has to enter the key into preferences before the PIO will run. I can go into further detail off list.

-Josh

If you don't want to have to register every copy another possibility would be to have the PIOs just look for a "license" file on the server.

This could be as simple as just a file with the right name, or could include a list of acceptable license numbers.

This would not prevent others who are very tech literate from breaking the protection, but if you don't publicize that the file is required, it is unlikely that a casual user who took a copy would be able to use it.