Copy and paste a drawing from Vectorworks to Illustrator

I think you would be better off exporting your drawing as a .dwg and importing (opening) that into Illustrator. This way you would get true vector information. I don't believe copy/paste would transfer vector info (between VW and AI, it does for others), but I could be wrong. I haven't tried opening up a VW exported .dwg file in AI, but I have opened native .dwg files many times in AI. It works a treat. Layers even come over. I don't see why it wouldn't work with a VW generated .dwg. Sometimes AI balks at ACAD 2010 files (and above) due to 3D issues maybe? Secret formulas for translation? Who knows... so you may want to try exporting as a lower dwg version than 2010. ACAD 2000 is the best in my experience. But people have used 2004 with success too.

Also, you could save/print to PDF and open that with AI, and that should maintain all the vector data too. At least if you use Acrobat to create it. I'm not sure how the built in PDF engine works in VW or Apple, in terms of what stays vector and what's turned to bitmap. But I've opened many PDF's in AI and had all the vector info there.

Monadnoc