HUGE FILES IN 9.5.1

What would explain the following behavior: All of my 9.5.1 files are giant sized, one, which isn't even anything more than a two story textured model, with a couple sections and elev's generated from the model is a whopping 37.3 MB's. When I "drop stuff" this file it takes a REALLY long time, but I end up with a tidy little 2.4 MB file. Much more manageable. My question is, first, why are the files so big, second if they can be compressed to less than a 10th of their original size what makes up the rest of the data, AND why can't VW's manage it's own files, automatically, in the same fashion? Wouldn't this be an elegant little thing? PLC Mac G4 450 DP/OS 9.1/VWALw/R 9.5.1

first thing that i would look at would be how many textures that you have in the resources for the file. i have noticed that that could pump your file size up. purge what you dont need. we just started messing with rw, so i am not sure why your files would do this. i have a similar type of file on my desktop right now that is 2.8 MB.

hth & good luck.

Another tip to keep the file size down is to save the file in a top plan view vs a 3d view. Just to see what I mean, draw a cube and switch to a right iso view. Save the file. Check the file size. Go back to the same file and switch to a top/plan view, and save the file. Look at the file size. There is a slight difference in file sizes, however if you add this up with a house or building drawing, you can see where you could save alot of room.

The other thing is with image based textures, those can add a weight to the file size. Since most of the textures are image based texures, those are very capable of being compressed which is why your file reduces down to a nicer size. Alot of the objects are not capable of being compressed. Again, draw a cube and try to compress the file. It won't make much of a difference. Now apply a texture to that cube and compress it. You will see that file is able to be compressed at a larger ratio than a cube with no texture.

The 3d information is stored, it's just not saved. Try it - Take a 3d drawing and save it all in top plan view. Look at the file size. Open the file up again and save it in it's normal 3d views. Look at the file size. You see you can still manipulate the drawing with it's 3d information, it's just not written when the file is saved in a top plan view.

A simple test will prove the point.