ArcGIS data into VW2012

Quackers

Question

Hello,

I am having alot of trouble getting some LiDAR data into VW. The base file is an elevation raster (unfortunately I do not have access to the raw point data), I have managed to create a multipoint file in GIS where each point has xyz data. This has then been exported to a DWG file (using the export to CAD funtion in ESRI ArcMap).

Tests in GIS show that the data is scaled and georeferenced correctly and has z values that I would expect. When I import this file into VW it is not to scale or georeferenced but the z values are correct. The first time I tried this it was scaled correctly but the z values were incorrect! I am now getting pretty confused as to what settings I shoud use. Any help would be very greatfully received.

Import settings are 2D/3D Conversion set to: 2D and 3D

This scale = 1:1

Set VW units to match is ticked

Import Points As: Loci

File consists of approx 30,000 points

VW verison 2012 sp1

Windows 7 32bit

2 answers to this question

A few suggestions based on my experience with importing dwg files:

1. set units manually to the correct one(i.e. don't let vw guess as that may give erronous units and result in the wrong scale)

2. turn off the matching of units if that means it may switch the units from e.g. mm to m (I am using the Dutch version so not sure which of the two possibilities it may refer to)

3. use the "use orignal coordinates" option (or whatever the exact name is in VW2012) this in combination with the correct units should put the import on the correct coordinates and scale.

4. In case this applies... set the import scale to the same scale as the existing layers, if you are in a layer with a different scale when hovering over a location, you will get incorrect readouts.

If there is also a geodetic projection involved, then setting the proper projection before importing might save some of the issues as well.