Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Scaling symbol inside a PIO

Hey gurus,

I am creating a fairly simple plug-in that grabs a symbol from an external file, converts said symbol to a group and then scales it according to a parameter. Sounds simple, but this code does not scale the symbol:

Symbol(TheSymbolName,0,0,0);

hNew := LNewObj;

SymbolToGroup(hNew,2);

hScale2D(hNew,0,0,iscale,iscale,FALSE);

The following code does work, but I lose the ability to set the scaling origin point:

Symbol(TheSymbolName,0,0,0);

hNew := LNewObj;

DoMenuTextByName('Convert to Group Chunk',1);

Scale(iscale,iscale);

I have tested to ensure that the handle is being passed to the symbol and that the scaling variable is working. Any thoughts?

V-G

VW 2010, SP4

Mac OS 10.6.6

1975 AMC Gremlin (with 8-Track)

I don't have time to actually try it now, but in the first case, isn't your handle still pointing to the symbol instance, not to the group created by the SymbolToGroup?

I don't know if LNewObject catches the conversion to group. If not, you can use the Waldo method (I think Gerard Jonkers coined the name and maybe came up with the method.) Insert a locus, LNewObject, Get the handle to the previous object, delete the locus.

Hi Pat,

Thanks for taking a quick look. I did notice that the handle was not being passed to the ungrouped object, but adding another LNewObj doesn't work. I am guessing that is because Ungrouping doesn't really create a new object in VS's mind.

Now reverting to Waldo.

V-G.