The small things...

James Russell

Question

Hey all,

Over the past few months I've been writing a little list on the side of my desk as I've hit problems or quirks. It's wishes and changes that in my opinion would make things a little better.

Worksheets:

Can't right click columns nor rows to add/delete/format.

Desired functions such as, LEN (length of resulting string), LEFT & RIGHT (character results a number of characters left or right of a string end), FIND (find within resulting string) and SUBSTITUTE (substitute within a string).

Call the rotation of an object, perhaps =ROT

Lineworking of Spreadsheet cells meeting Database cells. Often the bottom or top border of a spreadsheet cell directly meeting a database row will result in lines being added to all database row. Often this is not the desired result, perhaps checkboxed?

Formular bar only accepts 255 characters, more?

=Height and =Width to be calculated not only from the bounding box but the base object (regardless of rotation), perhaps =Height for base object originally and =_Height for the bounding box?

OR as an option in the database criteria dialog box, instead of having to open dialog, close, then edit formula.

Easily accessible function guide covering all possible functions, accessible from worksheet window.

Selecting multiple database rows and applying sorts/sums across all.

Functions for objects on annotation layers for are they on an annotation layer (T/F) and perhaps an =VP for the viewport they are contained in.

When working with a large amount of database rows open and then collapsing them it would be desired that the view returns to the bottom resulting row, not leaving the user several rows beneath with a grey table.

Worksheet open on both Sheet Layer/Design Layer and in preview window at the same time.

Moveable breaks in worksheets for split pages. When working with a worksheet of 120+ rows it no longer fits at a reasonable scale on an A1 page. It would be desired to have a method of splitting a table so it can be placed on multiple pages without needing to cover sections on each page or using multiple viewports.

-----------

That's about it for now but I encourage you all to add if you feel the need or if you have found efficient work arounds for issues I'd like to hear them. I'll keep adding to this forum set when I've tidied more of my list.

Cheers,

James

7 answers to this question

Nice list, James.

Here's a couple more:

- formatting buttons on a bar at the top of the worksheet. Replace everything in Format Cells... with icons, pulldowns, etc on a bar. The goal is to have the effects of formatting selections visible immediately without going in and out of the Formatting Cells... window.

- formula bar: more characters and wrap contents of bar

- Drag & drop reordering of columns and rows

- make ALL attributes of ALL objects (or as many as possible) accessible. (like insertion point of symbols (different from coordinates and centers), bottom z, top z, rotation, extrusion - if it can be entered or viewed in the OIP, I'd love to be able to put it in a worksheet.)

- a more user friendly way to access the drawing revision data

- a function similar to Pat Stanford's script that lists all possible fields of record formats, parametric objects, and all attributes of other objects.

- a page break feature and database headers that reapply themselves after page breaks.

- make all fields with numeric data values easily calculable. (ie. fields in stock schedules that start with 11_)

- when editing data in a database in a sorted column: After new data is entered and the "return" button is pressed, move the curser down one row and then reorder the database. The current behavior results in the curser skipping a row every time the database is reordered.

- Allow cell values that are pulldowns to be copied and pasted across individual cells or ranges of cells.

- An addition to Select Item in databases: After an item has been selected and the drawing has zoomed to the item, allow the up and down arrow to select the next or previous item in the database. This allows users to graphically zip through objects in the database.

- A reverse of the "Select Item" in databases. ie. right click on an object that is listed in a database choose "Show in Database" and have the database become visible and the row highlighted. This would be a huge timesaver.

- symbols or other geometry in cells. (for keys)

-Top and Left split scroll windows for larger databases and worksheets

Another one:

- fix the bug that stops the scroll wheel from scrolling up past the database header.

James

I can get the hand, but it doesn't actually move a column of a database. Surprisingly, if a column is selected, you can get the hand on any other column and it appears to try to move the non selected column. But then nothing happens.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong....

mk

Can't believe I forgot this one:

- Allow for criteria to be subtracted from the non-final criteria on the list.

Like an except to the criteria?

As for the hand, I just select a column, move down a few pixels to get the hand, click and drag to a new position. It works with multiple columns selected too.

J

No, I mean when editing the criteria for a database using the GUI.

If you have 5 criteria and you want to delete the 3rd criteria, you are out of luck.

You have to delete the 5th, 4th, and then 3rd.

I have been able to drag columns in the past, but lately it just refuses to go. The little grey line appears where I'm about to drop it, but then nothing happens.

mk