How to import 3ds file WITH textures?

Bill-

It may depend on where the texture file is located relative to the 3ds file: try putting them in the same folder and see if the textures import. Sometimes 3ds files obtained off the internet have hard coded texture paths that are looking for someone else's hard drive (absolute instead of relative pathing).

Also when you are importing the 3ds files in Vw, be sure to use 'Import as Groups of 3d Polygons', and that 'Use Texture Materials to Texture' is also checked. If you select 'Import as Vectorworks Mesh Object', the textures won't import (not sure why not, but they don't, at least not in Vw 2010).

Additionally if you want to make sure the problem is not with Vw's 3ds import, you can use the free program MeshLab (available for Windows, Mac & Linux). If the textures don't import in Meshlab (go File > Import Mesh), then they aren't correctly pathed and won't import to Vw either.

HTH,

Tim

Thanks, Tim.

I've tried a couple of different files with textures in differing locations but none have come in with textures attached. I have been importing as polygons with texture materials.

I'll take a look at MeshLab to see if I can determine if the problem is with the file or with VW.

I've had this problem too. I know it must be some setting some where, but I can't figure it out. Most of the time my 3DS imports come in as grey with no textures. But sometimes they do come in with textures. But I haven't been able to discover the rhyme or reason. Any tips would be greatly appreciated ...

Monadnoc