Templates for Model Setup Possible?

Does not work.

Created a 2 story Model Setup, File > Document Settings > Model Setup.

Created (2) story with Crawl Space saved as template, re-opened template, Model Setup settings set to Zero.

Will try new template and open exisitng and see what happens.

taoist

Strange...

It works for me (in VW2011). I would have thought it should do the same in VW2008.

I basically set up the file with the 'Model Setup' having various floors at different Z heights, and saved the template in the corresponding template folder in my user folder. Opened a new doc where I selected the (just created) template, and ALL the (model) layers I had generated were there.

Could be a VW2008 thing (if you did it the same way and it DIDN'T work), but that defeats the purpose of having a template!

Try it again...

I found I have to say New use Existing Template.

Now all I have to figure out is how to use VW's built in layers.

By that I mean have the Design Layers listed as Mod-1 Mod-2, etc.... Guess I create my own. Will look and see what VW has.

Do not usually use Model Setup but want to know VW much better than what I do.

Will keep looking.

taoist

Edited by taoist

taoist, you can name (or re-name) any design layers, classes, etc... (except for a few classes that were still hard-coded back in 2008). My advice is to use names that make sense to you and those you work with. That makes it a lot easier to remember what is what... For example, I use Main Level Plan, Main Level Flr Frm'g, Lower Level Plan, etc., etc., because this is how I like to think about the buildings I work on... P

I myself have not (yet) investigated the benefits (or disadvantages) of using the 'Model Setup' option. But I believe that there are other features (such as standard viewports) tied in with it. I will have to explore this option soon to see what it is all about...

Peter, I think along the same lines. As I have built (actual framed, drywall, finish carpentry, etc..)many homes, I think from bottom to top.

Footing

Foundation

1st floor Framing

1st floor Plan

Etc....

I have started creating my own Classes and Layers.

As most of what I do is remodeling, is it better for me to create existing, new and demo classes and layers or is there a better way to do this?

taoist

No that's more or less what I do too. One thing to be aware of is that your list of classes will probably get long, therefore I like to name classes as follows: Joist ML, Joist UL, as opposed to UL Joist. The reason is that they will be sorted alphabetically and will therefore be next to each other in the list and easier to find.

Remember too that there are two distinct and possibly overlapping uses for Classes: they control visibility AND they can control attributes...

Peter, Thanks.

By attributes do you mean fill & pen?

I list classes by Type:

Walls-Ext., Int., Load Bearing

Joists-1st floor, etc.

Cabinets-Kitchen, Bathroom

Roof-Framing, Plan

Layers by Type: Each of these type walls has its own color.

Existing = black

New = blue

Demo = red

This way the wall types are immediately identifiable.

I figure I need to show the plan(s) anyway, put them on their own layer or would I be better off showing the different

layer(s) (a copy) and change the classes for the walls, etc.

I like having pre-defined so it minimizes my editing.

We create Title Blocks for each size paper we use as well.

11x17, 18x24, 24x36.

taoist

Question.

If I create (1) set of classes and apply them to different layers,

do the changes I make to these classes universally change across all layers?

In other words, If i am in my New Layer and I turn off cabinets,

do the cabinets turn of in the demo and existing layers as well or classes are on a layer by layer basis. Are classes global or local?

I would think classes are layer dependent.

Other wise, we would a boatload of classes.

Hope this makes sense.

taoist

Edited by taoist

Good question. The answer is that yes if a class is off it is off in all design layers IF you are simply stacking design layers to create your finished sheets.

Better idea: Use Viewports on Sheet Layers. Each VP can have it's own set of visible/invisible layers and classes AND as a bonus, if you check Use At Creation for the class set up, you can use VP Class Overrides to change the graphic attributes (pen, color, fill, texture, etc) of any class in any VP...

Peter, Thanks.

I guess that make sense about ViewPorts as you only need to show what is visible at output and you can control/edit on the fly.

Seems like we need those principles in Design Layers, but then again maybe redundancy is the deciding factor.

Then again, how do you control what you are designing without using ViewPorts? I suppose you could use ViewPorts as your are designing.

Then again, VW2011 has Design ViewPorts dose it not?

What are the advantages?

taoist

You *can* do it with Design Layers by using Saved Views. This methodology has been in VW's since before it was called VW's. It still works well if the user is diligent.

However by comparison Viewports offer enormous benefits over Saved Views such as scaling, copying (and modifying), cropping, rotating, moving around on sheet, using layer or class overrides, etc., etc., all without affecting design layers.

I like to think of the Design Layers as containing all the objects of which the building is made. Pure and simple. But exact and detailed (to a certain degree, decided by user and by project needs).

Viewports then can be generated from the design layer(s), including Sections and Elevations and Rendered Presentation Views. All of my text and notes live in the annotations of a particular VP...

It is also possible to use a combination of the two methods. Example: use a discreet design layer for the building elements and another for dimensions and text, then make a VP of the two (or perhaps more, of course)...

Peter, If I understand saved views, that gives you a snapshot at any point in time but it is not editable.

ViewPorts seems to be the way to go.

Saved views also do not alter design layers correct as they are "saved" views.

OK, you have my interest on "layered" viewports.

How do you go about this.

I know you can have multiple layers of renderings modes.

Thanks for your responses, quite illuminating.

taoist.

Actually you can edit the contents (layers and classes) of a Saved View. In other words you can modify which ones are visible or not after creation using the Edit View dialog... But that's about it.

I didn't think I mention layered VP's (usually called Stacked VP's). But yes you can duplicate a VP in place (for example) then change the crop, rendering, etc. etc... Not nearly as useful as it once was prior to being able to have one VP with discreet background and foreground rendering modes, but still a good trick for some tasks.

Peter, Thanks.

I know about ViewPorts on sheet layers as that is your "output".

I also know you can copy a ViewPort and change its render modes and such.

That is one of the great things I love about ViewPorts.

You do not have to change the design layer to show the changes.

So to recap to make sure I have it correct.

Create Walls and Class them, change attributes accordingly.

In my case Demo, New, Existing Walls each with it's own class.

Create layers to suite my needs/style. Foundation, 1st floor framing, etc...

Create Classes as I need (create a master set if you will) so I don't need to do this every time, same for Layers.

Use ViewPorts on Sheet Layers for output, elevations, sections, etc..

taoist

Peter, Thanks.

I am in the process of creating templates based on project design.

That is 1 story, 2 story, crawl space foundation etc. Create the walls accordingly ahead of time so they are in the wall library.

When I upgrade to VW2011 will I have to convert VW2008 templates, walls, classes and such to VW2011?

Thanks for all your input, great help.

taoist