Broken Slab Objects

jfmarch

I have retitled this post because of continuing frustration with slabs, the slab tool, inability to edit slabs, and a complete failure to see slabs properly in a sheet section VP.

I think we will give up and go back to overdrawing our sections in annotation mode.

In conjunction with my previous post about section VP's, I note that certain slab types that I draw end up as donut shapes.

For example, the slab on the left was drawn using a simple slab on grade style, and looks correct. The one on the right was drawn using the VW standard "Floor Assy-Wood 2x12" style, resulting in what looks like a footing. The middle are floors.

The same thing occurs when drawing unstyled slabs.

Another observation: If I draw a slab using a style that is 4" thick, and try to change the style to a thick type, inn 3D it does not change the thickness.

I also notice that contrary to the VW help section on applying slab style, my OIP does not indicate the slab style when I select a slab.

In our section viewport the floor slabs are styled as 12" thick wood but appear as 4" or 8" concrete.

I tried playing with slabs in a fresh VW file and the same things occur. They look like the finish floor surface is pulled away from the edge, but will not render proper.

Finally, I tried to edit a slab following the VW Help instructions using the 2D Reshape Tool. The slabs do not indicate any handles, no matter what edit mode I am in, and therefore will not edit.

Are we really messed up here? Any suggestions? Anyone think this is a bug?

Edited by jfmarch

Jim,

When I open your file, all the slabs are listed as "Unstyled". I'm not sure what the intent originally was, or how it happened, but when I "replace..." them with a style, they render correctly....almost.

For each Slab style, select the "Insertion Options" and make sure that the "Textures" pane has the option set to "Use Component Textures". Then, when I look at the model in 3D/OpenGL, I see the textures that you applied to the Slab Style components.

When I cut a Section Viewport through the model, everything now looks OK to me.

That's because that's the Slab plug-in object off of Vector Depot, if I'm not mistaken. It is not the one provided by VW. I used to use it in VW 11.5, as it was much more flexible/powerful than the Slab object that came with VW. The new Slab object in 2011 is much more powerful now, and I would suggest using that one instead, and you'll be wall-styling in no time. (I meant SLAB-styling in no time. Thank goodness for the Edit button.)

Monadnoc

Edited by Monadnoc
Jim,

When I open your file, all the slabs are listed as "Unstyled". I'm not sure what the intent originally was, or how it happened, but when I "replace..." them with a style, they render correctly....almost.

It should also render fine with unstyled slabs.

I get the thing with wall and slab styles, but they aren't very handy to use. I only use them to save a standard composition, but we need to adjust the thickness of the components all the time, so we don't use the styles. We import a style, draw a wall(/slab) and unstyle them. This way, when some walls(/slabs) need to be changed, either by component thickness or by component height, it can be done easily. And you can use the eyedropper to quickle take it from wall (/slab) to wall (/slab). And there are other reasons I came along, but I don't remember them...

Edited by DWorks
  • 2 weeks later...
Well spotted Monadnoc!!! (if your right of course!)

And welcome to VW Community Board!

Thanks for the welcome, Farookey. Sorry it took so long to respond. I try to browse the Tech Board every day, but it seems I never have the time to make a post. I am a returning user, and just re-learning VW, so I'm sure I will have a lot of posts in the near future asking for help.

Monadnoc