worksheet problem

hi there,

I have a worksheet with several reports on it, picking up space names and net areas correctly; net areas are in column B.

but if I try to summarize the areas, for example with

=B3

or

=sum(B3)

I get back the number of spaces, not the sum of the areas...

so what is it i am missing...?

thanks in advance,

helmut

What version of Vectorworks are you using? If you create a signature (under My Stuff at the top of the page) with your software and hardware specs it makes it easier to help trouble shoot.

It appears that in VW2011 the Area fields are not number but rather a text representation of the area including the units.

Maybe someone else can chime in with a work around.

I though this was fixed back around VW2008 or 2009. I guess it is back.

pat,

thanks. my signature should show up now.

of course, if the area fields are text representations instead of numbers... there can be no sum.

but what sense could this make ??

area calculations are in my opinion by far the most important thing the worksheet should be able to handle.

of what you say I understand this has been fixed before and is now back in 2011;

at least I cannot remember having similar difficulties in 2009-2010.

so: what now, when up to date we got...

thanks for suggestions,

helmut

I would think so.

I'm assuming that NV did not intend for the report generated by Tools>Reports>Create Report...>blah blah blah to return such a nonsense number for total net and gross areas.

The "11_" before the field name must have something to do with getting the worksheet to add the area units after the number.(?) But that makes the field entry not be a real number or a dimension. So it can't be added.

I always find those VW generated schedules/reports/worksheets to be useful as guides to making one's own, but not as useful out of the box.

I vote "bug." Report it.

mk