does 2011 take advantage?

Hey guys,

Now that 2011 is out, does it take advantage of current technology out there?

for instance 6 core processing?

I have a 980x processor 12 gig of ram and 2 gtx 480's running windows 7 64 bit.. will I get a better benefit over someone with a 4 core processor?

I'm sure the extra ram and the 480's in sli are helpful, just not sure about the processor.

thanks for the info!

Also, its an expensive upgrade.. now that you guys have tested it a while is it worth it from the 2010 version? (I use spotlight with rederworks).

I know that the new Renderworks uses multi-cores. I do not know if the number is limited. One of the 2011 intro videos shows it rendering with a task manager performance window (or something like it) open with several (4?) processors running at once. I have used the new rendering a lot. It is much faster than the old. As you can see I am running an i5, which has 4 cores. The new RW uses all these cores fully when rendering on my machine.

Edited by J Lucas

I don't have a 6 core machine to test on, but I have confirmation from a source I trust that the Renderworks engine is "Multi-core". I would be willing to bet a beer (and probably a steak dinner) that all the rendering will use all the available cores you can throw at it.

From a different conversation, it has been said that there is not a lot of non-rendering functions in VW that will greatly benefit from multi-core/processor so that has not been implemented yet.

Renderworks ships with a custom version of Cinema4D engine. You don't have to buy anything more than Renderworks to get all the features of Renderworks.

If you want other features of Cinema4D (Animation, other lighting, etc.) then you need to buy the full version of Cinema and Export from Vectorworks. The version in Renderworks is not a stand alone application and only creates a rendered image for display in Vectorworks.