VW2011 Window Openings - still poor

Chris D

I've never used the 'return wall components' feature in the windows PIO on my drawings. I've tried it before, it draws something very bizarre, physically impossible even...so I've left it. Well, I've tried it again in 2011 and you've guessed it, it still doesn't work.

Ignoring 'checked reveals' found in Scotland, we have about four typical conditions you're likely to model in the UK, and I can't imagine that building customs are that different the world over, as far as masonry construction is concerned. You would either return your masonry inner leaf part way into the cavity and insert a cavity closer, or you you would use a full width cavity closer. You might combine these options with a wet plaster finish returning into the reveal, or with plasterboard on dabs returning into the reveal. There is no way on earth I can make the window PIO draw anything that remotely resembles these configurations.

Why, when I select one interior component to return, SHOULD THE EXTERIOR COMPONENTS SUDDENLY EXTEND ACROSS IN FRONT OF THE WINDOW FRAME?? Why would you look at this and think "yup, that's what windows look like" and high-five your NV Inc colleagues on another job well done?

Chris,

Have you tried adjusting the handles to locate the ends of the returns where you want them?

Yes, but it solves nothing:

A. you can't drag the handle past the line of the outer leaf, which in the case of plaster it would obviously overlap with the window frame and thus be 'within' the structural opening (rough opening).

B. this does not prevent the outer leaf from randomly overlapping with the frame

Jeff's right then: fiddling with the handles will probably get you where you want. The interface initially confused me too. When you first insert the window and enter the settings you're after the resultant wall jambs are a strange mess with the external leaf overlapping the frame etc etc. Plus, there are in fact TWO little blue handles (one for internal and one for external components) but when you first insert the window THEY COME IN ON TOP OF EACH OTHER and look like just one handle. Grab one and pull it off and you'll see there's another underneath. Then, playing with each handle you'll find the result is surprisingly useful. An example of VW hiding it's light under a bush I'd say. It took me less than a minute to make the window.

Don't forget to nominate how many internal or external wall components to wrap when you first create the window. In the attached I wanted to wrap the plasterboard, so nominated the internal 2 components: the plasterboard and the adhesive dabs zone. Externally just 1 component is nominated (the brick).

I use the external handle to achieve an installation tolerance at the jambs, not the "shim" setting, which I don't fully understand (I suspect it's more for scheduling - not graphics - where along with a nominated masonry module calculates the external opening size).

Hope this is helpful. VW file attached.

Thanks Assemblage, I'm away from my computer this weekend but it sounds like the window tool CAN be made to behave, even if its default behaviour is non sensical and it requires a team of enthusiastic geeks to figure out what should be easy and intuitive.

By the way, I still think the tool is broken. Returning components on the inner leaf should NOT affect the structural opening of the external leaf and certainly should NOT make the wall components of the outer leaf overlap with the window frame. I believe this is a bug.