Space tool

Peter Eichel

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Space Tags are controlled by symbols. The symbols are drawn at 1:1 and the Space Object handles all the scaling, etc. So the symbols control everything using "variable" text (similar to linked text, but more powerful).

For a complete discussion, look for the following topics in your online help:

"Using Custom Space Labels"

"Creating Space Label Symbols"

HTH, Robert

Oh, I'd like to add a some other points on the new Space Labels:

Space Label symbols can be multi-color, multi-class, multi-font, multi-whatever;

Space Label symbols can include any graphics you want as well as text.

Any Space Label text and graphics are scalable in viewport "advanced properties" using the text scaling factor.

Peter, you're right -- it would be simpler. But more limited, also. I don't think this is a "workaround". It is a little more involved than the old 'additional data' method in VW-2010 and earlier but removes all limits on what you can display on the space and give you total design freedom on how you can display it.

The trade-off in having vastly improved features is, sometimes you have to learn how to use them.

The method for showing area is described in the sections of the online help that I mentioned.

Peter, as Robert pointed out in his post you have to create and edit the text size in a Layer that has its scale set at 1:1. Set the text to the required size in that 1:1 layer and that is the size it will be in all layers.

What I like about this new system is I can decide how I want the room label to look. I'm not stuck with having to choose from a limited range. Having created my own I can then set that as the default and thus not have to choose from the options each time.

Edited by mike m oz

Responses:

1. I really do not recommend using spaces on sheet layer viewport annotations. More than any other kind of notation, Spaces are viewed in multiple viewports and therefore must be created in the design layer. Spaces are definitely part of the model, not a view-specific note.

2. The default class can be whatever you want.

3. I don't know. I have not seen this with rectangular spaces -- will look into it. Feel free to enter a bug..