Formula in Record Field value

tui_k

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to create a formula in a field value?

I am wanting to attach a text to a field in a door record, that automatically updates when the door size is changed.

Is this possible?

I can call up the door width in a worksheet using: paste criteria, and paste function. And this shows up in the worksheet.

I'd like to display this value on the drawing.

Basically I am creating a door symbol which has a text object which is attached to a record that displays the door width.

Attached is a example.

Cheers in Advance

Are you using the Door Plugin Object? If so, I don't think there is a way to do what you want.

If you are manually making the door symbol and create your own record format then you can use the Link Text to Record command to get text on the drawing that can be changed in a worksheet.

If this is something you really really need, a possible work around would be to use Vectorscript to copy the data from the PIO Door record and paste it into a custom record format. You would need a second script if you wanted to go backwards. And you would probably want a third script that would run through all the objects and make sure the data in the custom record was up to date.

Ask if you need more information.

So often it appears that ideal parametric Symbol objects should be able to

display a dynamic text field listing the size. Then when the size of the object changes ... so too the text field. Viola !

However, specifying Doors within the planset requires schedules ... that's where all the action is; because each Door Symbol can have different characteristics and still be the same size as all the others.

What matters is that each unique Door Symbol contains a unique ID keyed to the Door Schedule.

As Pat indicates the Door Plugin Object contains fields & values which are readable via worksheet schedules.

Thanks for the info guys.

So Pat, youre saying to write a vectorscript to copy the data from the Door PIO to a custom record.

Then in the symbol, link a text to that a field in that newly created custom record.

Is it possible to create a script to copy that data to a field in an existing record?

Where/how can I start. I have a fair understanding of the vectorscript language.

Cheers in advance

Yes, that is what I am suggesting.

I would see if I could figure a way to use ForEachObject to get each door. If the custom record is already attached, then just copy the field from the Door PIO and store it in the custom record. If the custom record is not attached, then attach the record and copy/store the field.

You would copy and store the fields using the GetRField and SetRField commands.

You can use the script in the thread below to see what the record and field names for the Door PIO record need to be.

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=108487#Post108487

If you want to do all the doors in the file, it will be pretty easy. If you only want to do some doors, you will need to figure out a criteria to identify the ones you want. Maybe manually attach the custom record and then only process the doors with the custom record.

Ask again if you need more information.