Is there still a limit on the size of a Vectorscript in 9.5 ?

Hi Everyone,

I do write a lot of scripts in VectorScript. In 8.5.2 there is a limit of 32 K of the size of a VectorScript. Vectorworks always warned when the exceeded the limit.

Since a couple of weeks we updated to VectorWorks 9.0.1. I thaught that the limit of the size of a VectorScript was removed. But regretfully for me it is not. And to make things more worse, also the warning is removed with it. Now VectorWorks does not warn you, you can type as much you want exceeding the limit. But when you close your scripteditor and try to run the script, you will soon find out that you loosed all the last code which exceeded the limit. VERY NICE WORK NEMETSCHEK, VERY NICE!

I did remove all unnecessary spaces, all comments but my script still exceeded the limit. It is not possible to break it further in pieces until it fits. I tried the #include files but it does for some reason not work even when I install those include files in the Plug In map.

I think the size limit of a VectorScript is removed in version 9.5 but I am not sure. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

I hope that Nemetschek consider this as very important, because that limit is a severe restriction. VectorWorks and VectorScript is a very good combination which even let Auto-Cad far behind, but please remove that limit. I am sure many people will be very thankfull for that.

I thank you very much and I wish you a very nice day.

With friendly greetings,

StarGateDesselBelgiumEurope

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The size limit was removed in 9.0. I just did a quick test with 81K of code and it worked fine in 9.5.{US Version}

Also the syntax for an include file is {$INCLUDE [file]} not {#INCLUDE [file]}

HTHKevin LinzeyNNA

There are two different types of scripts in VectorWorks now: scripts in the drawing and script in plug-ins.

If you hit "New" on Resource palette and create a new VectorScript this way it will be stored in the drawing file and it will appear on a script palette. These scripts are still limited to 32K, and we do not plan on increasing this limit. You may use include files to accomodate larger scripts.

It is a bug that VectorWorks doesn't warn you, and it obviously should not cause you to lose your script. We'll fix this for a future version.

The other type of scripts live in Plug-in files, and these do NOT have the size limit. If your scripts are huge you may want to consider putting them into a Plug-in. Choose the "Create Plug-in" command off the Organize menu. You can create Plug-in Menus, Plug-in Tools, or Plug-in Objects.

Jeff Koppi Customization Team Manager Nemetschek North America

To : Kevin Klinzey and Jeff Koppi,

Thank you very much for your advice and your help. Again it is very usefull to me and I am sure other users also.

Indeed I also thought that it was a bug when a scripts exceeds 32 K there is no warning. However, maybe it is not completely a bug of VectorScript. Here are the exact steps I took until I found out I loosed the last part of the script.

I wanted to merge two scripts into one script by copy and paste by the Mac pasteboard (command-C and command V). Here are the steps :

1. I opened script A.2. I select all the code in script A3. By using command C I copied to code4. I closed the script editor by cancel it5. I opened script B6. Go to the position were the code was to be inserted (in the first middel of the script code)7. I pasted the code at that position8. I made some adjustements on the scriptcode9. I closed the scripteditor by clicking OK.Now when I run this script I get an error message that the script code stopped in the middle. When I open the script again in the script editor the last part of the code (the section which exceeded the 32K limit) is lost. But I think there is a lot of white space at the end of the script editor (I am not sure about this).

I hope it will help to solve this bug. Probably when you are typing to much you be warned by VectorWorks. We are using Vectorworks 9.0.1 Dutch edition on Mac OS 9.2.1 Dutch.

I thank you again for your help and I wish you both a very nice day.

With friendly greetings,

StarGate(Chrissy)