Section Detail Workflow Question

I am trying to figure out the best workflow for building sections, wall sections, and section details to avoid drawing the same thing over and over at different scales.

I have looked at the Alexandria Flats sample project, but can't figure it out.

Can I have the software cut the wall section, the draw on top of the section in the viewport to add detail and notes at 3/4"=1'-0", then somehow reference that viewport into another viewport on a different sheet and add additional detail at 1 1/2"=1'-0"?

What is the best way to handle not drawing something twice?

I am running 2010 on a mac

Even if only one person on the project, we're currently drawing all the primary construction elements in a 'master model' (attached), then take sections through it as required in the DLVPs of the blue files, adding further detail as required via SLVP annotation. With plans, you can also do further drawing in the design layers of the blue files, eg adding electrical circuiting etc. Does work, but we're reviewing it as we go.

You have two choices with details; try to use the 3D model, or draw the details in 2D.

For me, the problem with the model is that it does not draw enough information. Even if you can create enough model information, when you try to use the 3D model, it does not look as nice in detail as I want. In the 3D model, framing sits directly on top of the slab, but I want my fearing to sit above the slab so I can show the DPC under the framing.

I was always taught to separate the parts of a detail to make the parts readable. The 3D model does not do that.

If you use the model to cut a section, and then draw your section in in 2D, then you can use the section, and you can viewport the section for the details.

I covered this topic some time ago in my online user group, see the link below. I've also written a short manual on it:

http://www.archoncad.com/creating-construction-details.html

Thank you for the information. I was able to cut the section using the software. I put the viewport generated on the sheet where it needs to live and using viewport annotation was able to complete the wall section at 3/4"=1'-0".

I them duplicated the viewport and changed the scale to 1 1/2"=1'-0".

In AutoCad I would have drawn the section in model space then used viewports to filter layers (Classes) of notes and dimensions, which meant only having to redraw the linework once if the construction or materials changed.

With the technique I am using in VW, I am going to have to redraw the section and the detail if the linework needs to change.

Is there a way to make one viewport reference another so the additional annotation on the larger scale drawings is the only thing in the viewport that is annotated there?