Texture Issues with Curved Models

Hello,

I'm new to VW & I'm having issues with textures. I'm making furniture & places where the piece curves the texture is, well, just messed up. It's a B & W stripe pattern & the stripes don't line up. where I've done a fillet it's off. I can adjust the size & major pieces will line up but not fillet parts.

I just now purchased the RenderWorks Recipe Book & by viewing the table of contents it looks as my answer will be in there, but I can't wait for it to be shipped, the client is coming soon.

THANKS

the actual furniture

Edited by crosetti

Crosetti,

If you've purchased the Renderworks Recipe Book you should have immediately received an email with a download link. It's not a physical book that ships.

The issue of wrapping textures around curved pieces is actually fairly complex and may not lend itself to a simple quick solution. It all depends on how the pieces were modeled, as well as the method used for applying and adjusting the texture locations. Reviewing Help will provide some insight, as will the RRB, but in this case it is truly a matter of learning the basic techniques and then doing quite a bit of trial-and-error testing to get it right.

I've taken a look at the file. I believe your best hope of orienting the textures properly is to convert all the objects to NURBS and then adjust the texturing on each NURBS object individually. Also, if you're rendering in OpenGL consider adjusting the settings to their highest levels, for accuracy.

Dan Jansenson

Hallo,

in this special Case you could try to slice the Models, and give the Slices different colours.

Not very elegant but for shure faster, than texturing a bunch of Nurbs surfaces and fiddeling with offset and size of the Stripes...

Edited by Horst M.

Crosetti,

I had a quick look at your file and I see you have used extrude along path for the arms. I have remodelled them as simple extrudes and then 3D filleted the end. I find that mapping textures onto basic extrudes is often easier this way.

I then extracted the inner face on the end of the arm using the extract tool and the last option (extract face mode). This gave me a nurbs surface which I could then map the texture onto.

To make the face show up clearly and not meld into the extruded arm I nudged the extracted face (in Top/Plan View) away from the arm, otherwise you get a visual "merging" of the 2 objects.

Also extracted the side/end face of the settee/sofa and again applied the texture.

Although I did this in 2010 I think that it should be the same in 2009.

I hope this makes sense