Is it possible to link two records?

I've got a VWX that contains a groundplan in one layer, and a section in another layer. I've made my linesets a symbol with a record attached for easier editing.

Since I've got the lineset schedule in two different layers, both the section and the groundplan, is it possible to link the records of one to the other so that when I change Lineset #1 in the groundplan, it changes it in the section as well?

I am not sure about the answer to your linking question, but if you are using the same lineset symbol for both layers you can edit the info in the edit symbol mode and this will update both of your linesets. There may be a better way to accomplish this, but this is the method that I have been using for the exact same situation. I do not find it to be too inconvenient.

Steve

I'm not totally clear about how you are generating the lineset schedule either...

If you are using a database worksheet, then you can let viewports do all the work for you. If you are using linked text in the symbol, then you can use class visibility (and viewports) to get what I think you are after.

Both ways work well.

hth

michaelk

If you are using the same record for the lineset on both layers then it is easy and all you have to do is use the correct criteria in the database header.

Either make sure it specifically lists both layers as part of the criteria or make sure it does not mention layers at all.

Go into the worksheet and make sure the database headers are shown. This should give you a row like 3 above 3.1, 3.2, ... (or whatever row you are using as the database.) Select the header row and right click (ctrl click) in the row head (ie 3). Choose the Edit criteria option.

This will show the criteria dialog box. Tell us what is included there and we can probably help get it figured out.

Out of curiosity I played with a lineset symbol on two layers with

linked text. My attached record format was called Line Set and the criteria had one choice where the record 'Line Set' 'is' 'present'. Both objects met the criteria, and showed both objects. Even with this scenario I could still only address one lineset at a time. (cells in the 2.1 row addressed one symbol and the cells on the 2.2 row did the other one) I think Erin is trying to address both linesets at one time. I believe I did all of this correctly, but could not link or updated both symbols together.

Just curious.

Steve

You need to find some criteria to "SUM" (as in summarize) the linesets on. This will combine them in to a single row that can be edited.

Once you have a criteria that is unique to the objects you want to edit (maybe Layer [formula =L] or type [formula =type], select any row in the database (2.1, 2.2, etc) and then drag the little tile that says SUM to the column you want to summarize on. This will give you a single row including the data from all the object that are combined into that row. Any changes you make sill be made to all of the objects.

If any of the fields are defined as numbers the value shown in the summarized row will the the total. If you enter a value, it will be applied to all members but shown as a total. If it is important to show the actual value you will need to add a new column with a formula of =count. This will give the number of objects summarized in the row. Then modify the formulas to divid by this number. If the count is in column F, then the revised formula might be:

='Record'.'Field'/F2

HTH