Importing a fixture from .mcd/ 3D Orientation problem

So, I just recently updated from 12.5, and I am trying to import Elation's Impression into my new copy of 2010.

I found the .mcd on Elation's site, I cant figure out how to import it into vectorworks. I have opened it and copied/pasted it into the plot I am working on, and all was good.

However, then I tried to set the 3D Orientation to get the fixture to hang correctly on vertical truss.

When I tried to do that, the 3D wireframe seemed to split in half around the C-Clamp and half would be parallel to the y-axis and the other half would be perpendicular to it.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to properly import this file, or to fix this weird wireframe issue.

I'm seeing it, too.

Not an impressive symbol. The symbol is composed of a group of 220 nurbs surfaces and 323 3D symbols which contain a total of 6,266 3D Polygons. The geometry could have easily been built with 4 simple solids.

The record format isn't attached, so the symbol doesn't know it's a lighting instrument. Only parts of the geometry have the default instrument texture. But the colored discs are cute.

This fix seems to solve the split personality problem:

Edit the symbol "Elation Impression" from the resource browser. Choose 3D.

Select the body of the instrument. It will be a group. Double click the group to edit it.

Use the magic wand tool (set for object type) to select all the 3D symbols.

Modify > Convert > Convert to Group

Modify > Ungroup

Exit the Group Exit the Symbol

It will now behave when setting the 3D orientation. You can now delete the 323 extra symbols from the resource browser.

However, it may drag your machine down. 6000+ objects can be a resource hog.

If I were you I'd make my own symbol or check w/ Mr. Shelley http://www.fieldtemplate.com/ to see if he has Elation symbols. He makes much better symbols.

hth

michaelk

Well I'll be damned.

It worked! my Macbook Pro freaks out when I move the fixture around however.... I hate to see what happens when I add the other 19 of them I need.

Thanks so much.

I checked out that link and there was none available, how would I go about creating my own symbol? Is it a long and arduous process?

I checked this symbol out for curiosity sake and all I can say is wow. As Michael says, I could easily have been made with a few simple solids. I downloaded the DWG file thinking it might be an easy way to explain how to build a symbol on your own. Unfortunately its not any better. All of the curves are made up of facetted line segments.

Its amazing to me that files are posted in this essentially unusable condition. I suspect they don't work in either Vectorworks or Autocad and have only converted files as a "convenience" for the end user.

Kevin

Short and arduous. :)

It doesn't take that long, but there are a few tricky steps. I think there is a pretty good description of how to create an instrument in VW Help.

Attached is a symbol for the Elation Impression (and its floor stand - it will insert as an accessory) that will work much better for you. Draw beam should be accurate, but I gave up looking for more photometric information on the Elation website, so the footcandles won't be accurate.

They are named with a tilde after the names to avoid conflicts w/ Steve Shelley's naming scheme if he adds them to his library.

Kevin, I couldn't agree more. I don't understand why suppliers in the entertainment lighting business don't provide good VW symbols for all their products (and not just fixtures). It would be a huge competitive advantage to have accurate hybrid symbols (and useful record formats, worksheets and reports). I know I've specced specific manufacturer's products (not fixtures) because in a previous project I had built symbols for their products and built the record formats, worksheets, and schedules to make them easy to work with. If any another manufacturer had provided good VW hybrid symbols, they would have gotten the business.

There have been questions on the forum from people looking for the L&E zip strip symbols. I wonder how much L&E is loosing because everybody is putting Altman zip strips on their plots. All because L&E doesn't provide a symbol. (or even drawings. or even dimensions)

... excuse the rant ... hope the symbols work for you.

michaelk

Edited by michaelk