From VW to Cinema 4d...

Is there a trusted way to translate models made with VectorWorks 9.x to CInema 4Dxl 7?

Ive been trying with .dxf and vrml formats with uneven results, sometimes it works, but many times I get parts of the geometry dislocated.

Ive also been told tha VW and Cinema 4dxf (Maxon) are somehow related, is this true?...If truth, this could mean that a plugin to export c4d files is not an extravagant request... (maybe?... or am I dreaming?...)

Thanks

I'm not really allowed to comment on anything that has not been officially announced.

Certainly full and seamless interoperability with other products like Cinema 4D would be "good" thing, and it is being looked into.In the mean time I will forward your enthusiasm and comments about how useful this would be to you to the appropriate people here at NNA.

For right now, I am told by our resident "expert"on Cinema 4D that dxf is the best way to import a straight model, then relight and texture.

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

quote:

Originally posted by ajs:
hm, this again.y'know, I was talking to the VW rep at MacWorld NY this past summer, and he alluded to a project called, I think, Turntable, that would allow improved (read:seamless) translation between these 2 programs.Which seems like a good idea, considering that yes, they are owned by the same company...It was allegedly targeted for this fall.Was he just funning with me?

7parella, if you search this forum for Cinema 4D, you'll find that this is a commoner issue than you might think. My experience has been spotty at best, and I think that you might have the best luck with dxf. Don't waste your time texturing your VW model, either-do all texturing and lighting in C4D.FWIW, I have had much more success moving formZ models to C4D via .obj., but even that is a bit wonky. My experiences are with VW9/C4DXL 6.3-YMMV.

Yo, Nemetschek-more than a couple VW users seem to be wanting to do this, and the demand doesn't seem to be diminishing-how's about getting this to happen before I finish my transition to formZ? Especially in light of all these fine localized EuroVersions of VW. C4D is a bit bigger in Europe than in the States, I believe-wouldn't it be a Good Thing to be able to export directly to it?

Maxon and Nemetschek North America are both owned by the same parent company Nemetschek AG. At the moment that is really the extent of the relationship.

Right now the best way to get your model into another 3D program, including Cinema 4D, is to export as a DXF and then import it into the other program.

I am not aware of any incompatibilities between the two products, but we also do most of our compatibility testing with AutoCAD as it is the benchmark for dxf/dwg compatibility.

When you get models which are dislocated, is this when translating from VectorWorks to C4D or from C4D to VectorWorks?

If can send in an example to tech@nemetschek.net which does this every time it would be very helpful.

Matthew GiampapaTechnical Support

quote:

Originally posted by 7parella:
Is there a trusted way to translate models made with VectorWorks 9.x to CInema 4Dxl 7?

Ive been trying with .dxf and vrml formats with uneven results, sometimes it works, but many times I get parts of the geometry dislocated.

Ive also been told tha VW and Cinema 4dxf (Maxon) are somehow related, is this true?...If truth, this could mean that a plugin to export c4d files is not an extravagant request... (maybe?... or am I dreaming?...)

Thanks

hm, this again.y'know, I was talking to the VW rep at MacWorld NY this past summer, and he alluded to a project called, I think, Turntable, that would allow improved (read:seamless) translation between these 2 programs.Which seems like a good idea, considering that yes, they are owned by the same company...It was allegedly targeted for this fall.Was he just funning with me?

7parella, if you search this forum for Cinema 4D, you'll find that this is a commoner issue than you might think. My experience has been spotty at best, and I think that you might have the best luck with dxf. Don't waste your time texturing your VW model, either-do all texturing and lighting in C4D.FWIW, I have had much more success moving formZ models to C4D via .obj., but even that is a bit wonky. My experiences are with VW9/C4DXL 6.3-YMMV.

Yo, Nemetschek-more than a couple VW users seem to be wanting to do this, and the demand doesn't seem to be diminishing-how's about getting this to happen before I finish my transition to formZ? Especially in light of all these fine localized EuroVersions of VW. C4D is a bit bigger in Europe than in the States, I believe-wouldn't it be a Good Thing to be able to export directly to it?