2d DWG objects not importing right

Greg_at_ils

Question

I have a sample AutoCAD file below where there are 2 arcs drawn within a rectangle. If you try and import them into VW it will tell you that there are 3D objects in the file. If you try and convert to 2D the arcs move from within the rectangle and if you use the 2D and 3D setting they get converted to 3D polygons.

I copied the arcs from a file a client sent to me so I do not know how they were created. AutoCAD sees these arcs as 2D objects so I'm not sure why VW sees them as 3D.

Here is my sample file:

files.me.com/doubledge1/453cab

5 answers to this question

Greg

I'm seeing the same thing...

I could be really wrong about this, but I think AC creates 2D geometry in something like VW's Layer Plane.

In your drawing it also doesn't recognize the arcs as arcs. It thinks they are polygons.

Converting to lines and composing gets a 2D polygon.

Converting to polygons gets two polygons.

I'd be interested to see what would happen if the arcs had the radius lines and a color fill in AutoCad.

michaelk

I could be really wrong about this, but I think AC creates 2D geometry in something like VW's Layer Plane.

You can create 2D geometry on many planes in AC. That should not affect this import issue though.

In your drawing it also doesn't recognize the arcs as arcs. It thinks they are polygons.

Converting to lines and composing gets a 2D polygon.

Converting to polygons gets two polygons.

It sees them as 3D polygons. Converting after the import is not really a feasible solution when your dealing with a large drawing. These arcs were among other 2D geometry that was read as 3D by VW. Some of the geometry was buried in symbols/blocks too. After I imported about 6-7 seemingly simple 2D AC drawings I had thousands of 3D polygons and the file became very slow and large.

I'd be interested to see what would happen if the arcs had the radius lines and a color fill in AutoCad.

As a 2D AC arc there is no way I know of to show the radius lines or fill it in AC. AC treats it like a simple line not an enclosed object.

I see this a lot, but I see 2D arcs come through the import process more. When they come through as 3D, I've always assumed it was drawn that way in Autocad.

In AC, these arcs register as 2D arcs. Now I have no idea how they were created in AC. I can only assume they were created by some method other than the arc tool which seems to work fine for importing into VW. I do know that the original file was never meant to be 3D and there don't seem to be any 3D objects in it. Regardless, I can't tell my clients how to draft in AC. I need to deal with what they give me.

Doubledge, do you use AutoCad?

Yes, I use both AC and VW. I've been trying to just use VW but it's not always possible when I'm dealing with complex and large projects. Too much just does not translate well.