Text Does Not Print

Everything else does, though - lines at correct weight, imported bitmaps, dimension lines and elevation bubbles...but not one item has the text that appears on the screen, printing upon the page.

Settings are identical to the previous document, wherein all of the text items printed just fine.

Anyone have any ideas what's up, with this?

Du'oh! Of course...

Windows XP Pro V2002 Service Pack 3

Vectorworks 2010 SP1 Build 114226

HP Designjet 500PS

..it does appear to be a file-specific problem, in that the previous file created with the same settings prints fine. But when I copy-paste the contents of the not-printing-right document into the file that prints okay, it still prints without text.

OK, next question: which Fonts are you using?? Are they the same for both documents? If so I am stumped (not a windows guy...) but if they are different then try changing the non-printing text to the same font as the printing text.

Could this have something to do with the fact that your printer in a PS ("post script") printer and you are using a non-post script font??

Also, what if you print to PDF? Does it "print" the text??

I am hoping someone with more windows know how than I will step in...

I had this very issue crop up this week. By any chance do you have a worksheet in this document? My schedule sheet exhibited this exact behavior. I had four worksheets, a couple general note objects, details etceteras. I was about to recreate the document, when I remembered seeing this problem long ago. So I started deleting worksheets and choosing print and looking at the preview. The issue was in my material key. I recreated that one worksheet and the document was happy again.

as always, your mileage may vary,

Ion

Thank you everyone for being so generous with your responses.

re: exported .pdfs: when I exported a .pdf it opened lacking the text, just like the printed output off the VW document

re: font - same font in both files, the printing-with and printing-without

re: worksheets: I am working in only one layer and have not made any organizational changes. I ought to clarify that I am a very inexperienced user, to the degree that I don't know how to answer the question.

Hopefully this is meaningful: when I came home and opened the document and set it up to print on an 11" x 8.5" page on a home printer (an HP deskjet 3520) the printed portion of the document came out with the text in place as desired.

I guess this suggests that there is an issue when printing this particular document on the particular printer in use at my work place. Maybe.

Or maybe it means that for some reason the document wasn't opening properly at work, although it was on the same machine.

Edited by Kanastrous

So, as an experiment, try changing the font and see what happens. This is the sort of problem you need to trouble shoot one item at a time.

I seem to remember a while back someone was having a problem because there were two versions of the same font in their system... One was in the "System" fonts and the other in their User font folder. Not saying this is it. Just that it could be...

I did a search and found a free version of Frank the Architect font.

I opened your file and was able to print to both my Brother laser printer and HP DesignJet.

I was not able to export PDF, the fonts did not show.

If I delete all the dimensions or all of the text the fonts will show on PDF export. If I delete half of the drawing the fonts will show.

If I change the font, all fonts show on PDF export.

Where did you get the font? Was it free?

Okay...changed all text to Arial and everything printed just fine...

...then noted that a couple of dimensions had been left in the Frank the Architect font, and *those* printed just fine, too, along with the majority of text in Arial.

My co-worker's theory is that the Frank the Architect font is heavily memory-intensive for the plotter, so that when all is in that font it just gets dumped, but when there's a small quantity of text in that font, the memory can handle it. Does that sound reasonable?

Next question: can I change smoothing etc settings in how Vectorworks renders the type? Perhaps I can find a setting that makes the memory overhead of that font manageable...