DTM issues (VW 2008)

Yes, I'm still on 2008, but I hope I can get some feedback on this nonetheless:

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my DTM to work well. The contours generated from the source data keep going wonky at the perimeter of the model, as you can see both from the top/plan view and the oblique view in openGL. It's rather annoying and makes it difficult to fully utilize the model.

I've also run into problems with the model suddenly going crazy and mostly disappearing, leaving just a strangely shaped remnant (see DTM before & DTM after screenshots) -- all I did was double click the model and then click OK in the properties dialog box. I thought it might be a buggy model, but I rebuilt the DTM several times from scratch, with the same results...

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Cheers,

Markus

Hi Mark, OK bear with me as I'm trying to recall just how this worked in version 2008... As for you first question, the strange turned-up edges, I think you can cure this by creating a boundary for the site model. I think (and someone else please jump in if I'm wrong) that we used to do this via the "Enter Group" command. So select the site model, call up the command, and draw a polygon that defines the outer boundary of the site. In your case, since you are only trying to hide the anomalies, probably just draw a poly just barely inside the ends of the source data... then exit the dialog...

As for your second question, this is probably a glitch, and the fact that you are running v.2008 on OS 10.6.2 (something that is NOT supported) might have something to do with it... FWIW, and as per NNA, the only snow leopard compatible versions are 2009 SP5 [ see this link for more info: http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/743/Tech+Bulletin%3A+Vectorworks+2009+and+Snow+Leopard+are+compatible ] and of course the latest 2010.

Hope that helps... P

Peter, thanks for your reply. Your suggestion about how to crop the site led me to discover the reason for the strange behavior. I did find that if I created the site model from 3D polys with one closed polygon as the crop object, I got just what I wanted. I then discovered that one of the polys in the source data for the problematic DTM hadn't been converted into 3D, so VW must have been trying to apply it as a crop object at random...

Which means that so far I haven't found any VW2008 behavior that's been problematic with OS10.6 (at least any more than with 10.5).

Thanks again,

Markus